History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Leonard

A Grade II Listed Building in Loftus, Redcar and Cleveland

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 54.5532 / 54°33'11"N

Longitude: -0.8852 / 0°53'6"W

OS Eastings: 472203

OS Northings: 518121

OS Grid: NZ722181

Mapcode National: GBR QH8S.5L

Mapcode Global: WHF89.CTQB

Entry Name: Church of St Leonard

Listing Date: 20 January 1967

Last Amended: 27 February 1987

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1139673

English Heritage Legacy ID: 60193

Location: Loftus, Redcar and Cleveland, TS13

County: Redcar and Cleveland

Civil Parish: Loftus

Built-Up Area: Loftus

Traditional County: Yorkshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): North Yorkshire

Church of England Parish: Loftus-in-Cleveland St Leonard

Church of England Diocese: York

Find accommodation in
Loftus

Listing Text

LOFTUS HIGH STREET
NZ 7218
(off south side), Loftus.
4/37 Church of St. Leonard
(Formerly listed in Church
20.1.67 Row)
G.V. II
Church, 1811 by Ignatius Bonomi, on site of medieval church; chancel rebuilt
1888 by William Watson, nave largely rebuilt 1900 by Clark and Moscrop
(Darlington). Dressed sandstone; plain clay tile roof with stone gable
copings; shallow-pitched metal roof on north aisle. 4-bay nave, with north
aisle, 2-bay chancel, north-east organ chamber and vestry; and west tower.
4-stage tower has round-headed south doorway with 6-panel door and panelled
tympanum, flat surround and keystone. West, round-headed, leaded-light
stair window with Gothick mullions, voussoirs, keystone and impost bands.
Paired, round-headed, louvred bell openings; clock faces below on west and
north faces. Embattled parapet with ramped angle finials; cock weather
vane. Quasi-Perpendicular nave and chancel. Nave bays defined by gabled
buttresses. Basket-arched windows, with hoodmoulds and string course below
sills to south and east. Chamfered sill band to rectangular windows in
north aisle; similar clerestorey windows. Round-headed cross windows in
west wall of nave and blocked semicircular gallery light in south-west wall,
all with keystones. East cross finial. Interior: open-well staircase,
with moulded stick balusters, fluted square newels and ramped handrails, in
tower. Pointed, double hollow-chamfered north arcade with short octagonal
piers without capitals or bases. Organ chamber open to nave and chancel via
similar openings. Panelled wagon roof with Tudor rose bosses. Brattishing
to wall plates in chancel. Panelled north aisle roof. Stained glass in
east window c.1910. Encaustic tiled floors in chancel and sanctuary.
Carved oak Perpendicular-style rood screen and beam with cross suspended on
iron rods; traceried panels enriched with figures of angels. Fan vaulting
connects beam and screen. Oak reredos 1926, with corniced canopy carved
with figures of angels, traceried arches, drop tracery, vine ornament to
cornice and foliate brattishing. Mid C19 octagonal stone font in shape of
chalice with sides of bowl panelled and ornamented with crosses;
egg-and-dart moulded rim. Marble monument 1844 by T. Earle to Sir Robert
Dundas on north wall of chancel. Ancient drum font on modern stem outside
north face of tower.


Listing NGR: NZ7220318121

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.