This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 54.537 / 54°32'13"N
Longitude: -0.9025 / 0°54'8"W
OS Eastings: 471112
OS Northings: 516306
OS Grid: NZ711163
Mapcode National: GBR QH4Z.FC
Mapcode Global: WHF8H.37J5
Entry Name: Church of St Michael
Listing Date: 20 January 1967
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1139676
English Heritage Legacy ID: 60200
Location: Loftus, Redcar and Cleveland, TS13
County: Redcar and Cleveland
Civil Parish: Loftus
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): North Yorkshire
Church of England Parish: Liverton St Michael
Church of England Diocese: York
LOFTUS LIVERTON VILLAGE
NZ 71 NW
(off west side).
1/44 Church of St. Michael.
Church.C12, largely rebuilt in late C18 and 1902/3 when porch added.
Dressed sandstone with stepped plinth to chancel. Lakeland slate roofs with
stone gable copings and cross finials. Slate-clad timber bellcote. Nave,
lower chancel with north vestry, and west porch. Medieval stonework at west
end of nave with offset angle buttresses on west face. Later medieval
stonework at east end of north wall. Remains of blocked C12 round-headed
doorway in north wall of nave. Early C20 windows with paired elliptical-
headed lights, 2 in south side and one in north side of nave. Single
pointed lights in west wall. Rectangular window with 3 trefoil-headed
lights in south wall of chancel. East window has 3 cusped pointed lights.
Early C20 square-plan bellcote rises from ridge at west end of nave.
Battered sides below paired louvred bell openings and pyramidal roof,
sprocketed at overhanging eaves, with metal cross finial. Gabled west porch
has boarded double doors in round-headed opening. Foundation stone at
south-west angle; cross finial on gable. Interior: plastered. Round-headed
C12 chancel arch, raised in early C20, has double zigzag inner moulding,
outer moulding of grotesques, and carved impost bands. Attached shafts have
moulded bases, and capitals with elaborate carvings of mythical beasts,
birds, humans and interlace, including the Expulsion from Paradise and a
boar hunt. Memorial panelling to members of Petch family c.1918 in
sanctuary. Panelled ceiled roof. Stained glass, 1903 to 1915, by W.E.
Tower in nave windows. Good stained glass c.1903 in east window. C12 drum
font on C20 octagonal stem and plinth, with late c19 timber and metal cover.
C14 grave cover, with geometric-patterned cross, sword and shield bearing
lozenges in shape of cross, in sanctuary. 2 medieval bells with crown
hangings, one with Latin inscription, in nave.
Listing NGR: NZ7111216306
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings