History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of All Saints

A Grade II Listed Building in Easington, Redcar and Cleveland

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 54.5519 / 54°33'6"N

Longitude: -0.8506 / 0°51'2"W

OS Eastings: 474441

OS Northings: 518013

OS Grid: NZ744180

Mapcode National: GBR QHHT.N1

Mapcode Global: WHF89.XV49

Entry Name: Church of All Saints

Listing Date: 20 January 1967

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1139699

English Heritage Legacy ID: 60165

Location: Loftus, Redcar and Cleveland, TS13

County: Redcar and Cleveland

Civil Parish: Loftus

Built-Up Area: Easington

Traditional County: Yorkshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): North Yorkshire

Church of England Parish: Easington All Saints

Church of England Diocese: York

Find accommodation in
Loftus

Listing Text

LOFTUS GRINKLE LANE
NZ 71 NW
(west side), Easington.
1/14 Church of All Saints.
20.1.67
G.V. II
Church 1888/89, by C. Hodgson Fowler (on plaque in chancel). Chevron-tooled
dressed sandstone; Lakeland slate roofs with stone ridge and gable copings
and cross finials. Decorated style. Nave with north aisle, chancel,
north-east vestry and organ chamber, and west tower. Continuous chamfered
plinth. 3-stage tower has 5 steps to double-chamfered south doorway under
continuous hoodmould. Tall, pointed west window above square, mullioned
window. Vice at north-east angle. Chamfered rectangular bell openings,
those to west and east with open-work clock faces. Embattled parapet above
coved cornice with watershots. Pyramidal roof has cock weather vane. Nave
of 3 bays defined by buttresses between chamfered, pointed windows with
curvilinear tracery, hoodmoulds, and sill strings. Similar 2-bay chancel
with ogee-headed south doorway. Chamfered rectangular windows in north
aisle. Circular window in gable of organ chamber. Interior: tall chamfered
tower arch holding panelled doors and glazed screen. Nave plastered, with
stone dressings. Double-chamfered pointed north arcade has compound piers
with round shafts, moulded capitals and bases, under continuous hoodmould.
Chamfered chancel arch has double-chamfered head and short responds on long
tapered corbels. Hammerbeam roof with 2 tiers of curved windbraces, and
arched braces to hammerposts and collars. Phinted, panelled wagon roof in
chancel. Parclose screen in north aisle Lady Chapel, with altar, chairs,
bookrests and other furnishings, 1934, by Thompson of Kilburn. Good stained
glass in east window, 1892 and in chancel and north aisle by Walter E.
Tower, 1907/08. Monument, 1621, to Katheran Conyers, in north wall of
tower; tablet with inscription above late C19 basket-arched niche holding
cot with sleeping child, on bracketed shelf. Built into south wall of
tower, on first floor, are remains of C12 chancel arch of 3 moulded orders:
beakhead, hollow-chamfer with pellets, and bobbin, with moulded reveal; and
remains of round shafts with carved capitals. Grave cover c.1300, in
sanctuary, has foliate cross and stem and metal inscription in Norman French
to Robert Bucell. Many fragments of grave covers and carved stones in tower
and nave. Broken base of medieval cross, with recumbent tapered shaft, and
part of a carved hogback grave cover, outside south-west angle of tower.


Listing NGR: NZ7444118013

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.