History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St. Peter

A Grade II* Listed Building in Elwick, Hartlepool

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 54.6818 / 54°40'54"N

Longitude: -1.2982 / 1°17'53"W

OS Eastings: 445346

OS Northings: 532082

OS Grid: NZ453320

Mapcode National: GBR MGC9.RH

Mapcode Global: WHD6D.1L27

Entry Name: Church of St. Peter

Listing Date: 16 November 1967

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1139821

English Heritage Legacy ID: 59861

Location: Elwick, Hartlepool, TS27

County: Hartlepool

Civil Parish: Elwick

Traditional County: Durham

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): County Durham

Church of England Parish: Elwick Hall

Church of England Diocese: Durham

Find accommodation in
Elwick

Listing Text

ELWICK HALL CHURCH BANK
NZ 43 SE
(off west side), Elwick
3/10 Village

16.11.67 Church of St. Peter

-- II*

Church, late C12 nave, restored mid/late C17 and 1895 re-roofed; mid C17
chancel incorporates earlier masonry, re-roofed 1887; lower stage of tower
1813, upper stage 1860; late C19 vestry. Random limestone rubble to nave
and tower, dressed gritstone to chancel; Westmorland slate roofs. Aisled
nave, chancel with north vestry, and south-west tower over porch. 3-stage
tower has string courses between stages, round-headed south doorway and
embattled parapet. One glazed and traces of 2 blocked lancets to south
aisle. Pointed, chamfered, south-west doorway has hoodmould and human mask
stop to left. 2 mid C17 mullioned windows with labels to south wall of
chancel, and blocked, chamfered doorway between them. All other windows in
nave and chancel are mid C19. C12 4-bay arcades, that to north of 2
chamfered orders springing from moulded octagonal capitals on short circular
piers and bases with square plinths; ½-round responds have waterleaf
capitals c.1200 at east end, re-cut at west end. South arcade is similar
but piers are taller and capitals are circular (octagonal to west pier) and
plain. Nave roof has cusped struts and principals forming centre
quatrefoils and side semi-quatrefoils; through-purlins have curved
windbraces. Anglo Saxon sculptured stones built into east wall of nave.
Stained glass: north-east window of north aisle, by A.K. Nicholson (London)
c.1916; east window of south aisle, by W.E. Tower. Remains of sculptured
Crucifixion attached to base of west pier of north aisle. In chancel, 2
sets of carved bench ends (8 in all) of c.1665 (Bishop Cosin was Rector of
Elwick). Number of late Georgian memorial tablets on north and south walls
of chancel. Pre-Reformation mensa of Frosterly marble, on late C19 rendered
supports. 2 late C17 bells in tower. V.C.H., Durham, Vol. III, 1928, pp.
240-241.


Listing NGR: NZ4534632080

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.