This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 54.5187 / 54°31'7"N
Longitude: -1.1669 / 1°10'0"W
OS Eastings: 454025
OS Northings: 514031
OS Grid: NZ540140
Mapcode National: GBR NJ95.5Y
Mapcode Global: WHD77.1PL7
Entry Name: Church of St. Mary
Listing Date: 23 June 1966
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1139841
English Heritage Legacy ID: 59820
Location: Nunthorpe, Middlesbrough, TS7
Civil Parish: Nunthorpe
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): North Yorkshire
Church of England Parish: Nunthorpe St Mary the Virgin
Church of England Diocese: York
NUNTHORPE CHURCH LANE,
NZ 51 SW (5414) north side.
6/102 Church of St. Mary.
Church 1924/26 by Temple Moore and Leslie T. Moore. Dressed sandstone with
double-chamfered plinth. Plain clay tiled roofs. Cruciform with tower over
crossing; south and west porches and clerestoried chancel with aisles.
Early English style. Clasping buttresses and buttresses between bays.
2-stage squat tower has paired louvred bell openings and watershoots in
spandrels, in slightly-recessed upper stage. Corbelled embattled parapet.
Gabled west porch has 4 steps up to double-chamfered opening, under
trefoil-headed niche holding figure of Virgin and Child. 2-bay nave has
single and paired lancets; 3 lancets in west end. Slit vents above plinth
in nave, transepts, and chancel aisles. South transept has 5 stepped
lancets and pent east porch with Caernarvon-headed doorway under partly-
blind trefoil-headed window. North transept has 3 stepped lancets under
relieving arch, and slightly-projecting gabled stair turret at north-east
angle, with slit windows and stack at angle. 3-bay chancel has paired
clerestorey windows and tall lancet at right in south wall. 5 stepped
lancets at east end. Corner stone in south-east buttress inscribed and
dated 1924. 2-bay south aisle with lancets. 3-bay north aisle with square-
headed windows and off-centre Caernarvon-arched boarded and studded door.
All windows have original iron grilles. All openings have chamfered
surrounds under hoodmoulds. INTERIOR : west porch has stone barrel roof and
benches. Boarded and studded west double doors under flat arch. Double
hollow-chamfered tower arch on short conjoined shaft responds, on corbels.
Similar transept and chancel arches on round responds, with moulded capitals
and bases. Chancel arcades have stop-chamfered square piers and continuous
hoodmoulds. Caernarvon-arched door in blind east bay of north arcade. oak
arcade screens, 1942, by Thompson (Kilburn). Barrel roofs in nave and
transepts, with arch-braced ties and moulded wall plates. Chancel has
queenpost roof trusses with arch-braced ties and curved queen struts to
purlins. Wainscoting to sill height in nave and transepts. Plain oak
benches. Panelled decagonal oak pulpit with dogtooth-moulded muntins, on
short round colonnette. Plain circular font. Caernarvon-headed 4-bay
sedilia and piscina. An important local landmark, occupying prominent
position on high ground amid fields.
Listing NGR: NZ5402514031
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings