This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 54.5784 / 54°34'42"N
Longitude: -1.2332 / 1°13'59"W
OS Eastings: 449661
OS Northings: 520621
OS Grid: NZ496206
Mapcode National: GBR MHTH.TK
Mapcode Global: WHD70.151Z
Entry Name: Monument to H.w.f.bolckow
Listing Date: 28 July 1988
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1139844
English Heritage Legacy ID: 59725
Location: Middlesbrough, TS1
Electoral Ward/Division: Central
Built-Up Area: Middlesbrough
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): North Yorkshire
Church of England Parish: Middlesbrough St John Evangelist
Church of England Diocese: York
MIDDLESBROUGH EXCHANGE SQUARE.
NZ 4920 NE
8/33 Monument to H.W.F.
Wrongly shown on O.S. plan as Marton Road. Monument to H.W.F. Bolckow,
dated 1881 by D.W. Stevenson, sculptor, and Sir John Steell, founder,
(Edinburgh). Red granite pedestal; signed bronze figure. Standing,
frock-coated male figure, holding Charter of Incorporation of Middlesbrough,
on pedestal and 2 chamfered steps. North-west face of die and plinth
inscribed: "H.W.F. BOLCKOW", and "ERECTED 1881". Bronze tablet, on
south-east face of die has raised lettering : "THIS STATUE WAS UNVEILED BY
LORD FREDERICK CAVENDISH, ON THE 6TH OCTOBER, 1881". Originally erected
outside Middlesbrough Royal Exchange, in Marton Road; moved to Albert Park
1925; moved here 1986, on site of Royal Exchange. H.W.F. Bolckow was
co-founder of Middlesbrough's iron industry in 1840.
Listing NGR: NZ4966120621
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings