This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 54.5665 / 54°33'59"N
Longitude: -1.3121 / 1°18'43"W
OS Eastings: 444572
OS Northings: 519251
OS Grid: NZ445192
Mapcode National: GBR MH8M.QS
Mapcode Global: WHD6Y.THC2
Entry Name: Stockton Parish Church
Listing Date: 19 January 1951
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1139977
English Heritage Legacy ID: 59456
Location: Stockton-on-Tees, TS18
Electoral Ward/Division: Stockton Town Centre
Built-Up Area: Stockton-on-Tees
Traditional County: Durham
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): County Durham
Church of England Parish: Stockton-on-Tees
Church of England Diocese: Durham
This list entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 10/05/2017
NZ 4419 SE
STOCKTON ON TEES
HIGH STREET (east side)
Stockton Parish Church
(Formerly listed as Church of St. Thomas)
Replaces medieval chancery dedicated. to St Thomas of Canterbury. Built 1710-12 reportedly with advice from Wren. Restored 1893, reseated and chancel added by R J Johnson in 1906. Site chapel and choir vestry added by W D Caroe 1925.
Six bay aisled nave with west tower and taller three bay chancel (ie taller than nave). Built of brick with stone dressings, quoins, moulded string to parapet and moulded coping. Round leaded windows each containing a round leaded lancel (original tracery pattern) and with long aprons below. Lead rainwater heads between most windows, one on north side dated 1712.
Low pitched roof (no clerestory) over nave and aisles with half gables flanking west tower. Three stage tower with corner pinnacles and round leaded louvre belfry style windows. Moulded string over clock stage. West doorway restored: round headed with segmental pediment open to fanlight, joined by ramped apron to window above which is capped by a pediment. A small version of this on south door segmental eaved architrave with heavy label and shortened window above. Three bay south chapel with a similar door - reused from position also on south side. Taller early C20 chancel in heavy "Wrenaissance" style. Brick with brick piers. Stone dressed oeils-de-boeuf windows. Two blocked doorways to south. At the east end a large round leaded window with a concave jamb and an armorial cartouche above breaking into open pediment stone balustrade at sides with ball finials to dies; east end pediment has urns at base and cross at apex. Vestries etc, on north side.
Interior: square piers to arcade, composite to rib vaulted south chapel. Top lit aisles, galleries removed. Variety of good carved C19 and C20 bench ends to good oak pews (including the Stockton-Darlington railway). Rich woodwork in chancery. Early C18 lectern and upper part of a three deck pulpit. Altar rails made from drift oak collected by Captain William Christopher while on Captain Cook's voyage to Hudson's Bay. Single storey new aisle to south of chancel.
Listing NGR: NZ4457119253
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings