This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 50.4582 / 50°27'29"N
Longitude: -4.378 / 4°22'40"W
OS Eastings: 231301
OS Northings: 64746
OS Grid: SX313647
Mapcode National: GBR NK.NH9D
Mapcode Global: FRA 17QV.86Q
Entry Name: Church of St Hugh of Lincoln
Listing Date: 23 January 1968
Last Amended: 26 November 1985
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1140035
English Heritage Legacy ID: 61331
Location: Quethiock, Cornwall, PL14
Civil Parish: Quethiock
Traditional County: Cornwall
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cornwall
Church of England Parish: Quethiock
Church of England Diocese: Truro
SX 36 SW QUEThIOCK QUETHIOCK
12/132 Church of Saint Hugh of Lincoln
(formerly listed as Church of Saint
23.1.68 Hugo of Avalon)
Parish church. Record is 1259 of rebuilding or enlargement and rededication to SS
Peter and Paul. In 1288 after further rebuilding, church was dedicated to St Hugh.
Ordination of benefice 1346. Possibly Norman cruciform church rebuilt in circa early
to mid C14. Base of tower possibly late C12. Tracery of lower stage C13. Tower
strengthened with when belfry added, circa late C14. North aisle circa
C15. Restored in 1878-79. Architect Elliot of Plymouth. Rev W Willimott, rector
(1878-1888) responsible for much of carving, painting and stained glass. Stone
rubble with slate roofs. Cruciform plan with north aisle added. Shallow north
transept projection beyond north aisle. Tall thin west tower of 2 stages above roof
of broader nave. Staircase tower adjoining on south side with saddleback roof.
Tower with short corner buttresses on north west and south west corners.
Battlemented parapet. West door with 4-centred granite arch with moulded jambs. C19
door with ornate strap hinges. West window with Decorated 3-light tracery in 2-
centred arch with hoodmould. Above, round-headed window of 1-light. 2-light belfry
opening with cusped heads and slate louvers. Parapet coping to south west at height
of original nave roof. Line of original roof marked on east side of tower.
Staircase tower with small, single light openings with square and cusped heads.
North aisle with 5 complete circa mid C15 Perpendicular granite windows of 3-lights
beneath 4-centred arches with hoodmoulds. Shallow north transept projection with
corner buttresses. Circa mid C15 3-light Perpendicular granite window beneath
pointed relieving arch for circa C14 2-centred arched opening. To east of transept
further 2-light window in rectangular surround. Chancel projects beyond east end of
north aisle. Restored Decorated east window of 3-lights with quatrefoils above.
2-centred arch. On south side of chancel, probably C19 Geometric tracery and C19
lancet window with cusped head. Rood loft projection in junction with south
transept. East window of south transept C15 tracery as on south aisle. South
transept window similar to that in north transept. Sundial above, inscribed E.
Morshead vicar by John Retallick 1764. To west of south porch, 2-light Geometric
tracery with cusped heads and roundel above. South porch with gable end. Moulded 2-
centred arch with hoodmould.
Interior Waggon roof in original untreated state to nave. Richly moulded ribs of
several different patterns with only 1 common rib between. Chancel roof with simple
ribs of original waggon roof with later applique motifs nailed on. South transept
roof partly replaced retaining Renaissance motifs with initials IHS and Tudor knots.
North aisle with original roof with moulded ribs, stone moulded rail and wall plate.
Original waggon roof in south porch. 4-bay north arcade with type A (Pevsner) piers,
tall moulded bases, octagonal banded capitals and 4-centred granite arches. 2-
centred tower arch with mid C14 Decorated rerearch to west window. South transept
with mid C14 Decorated 2-centred arch with double hollow chamfer. North transept
arch probably reused and reconstructed to form 4-centred arch. Similar moulding to
south transept arch.
Furnishings mainly C19 with C19 pulpit. 6 well carved panels to chancel screen with
depictions of crucifixion in relief. By Rev W Willimott, circa 1879.
Rev W Willimott also responsible for tiling the east wall of chancel with 10
Commandments and decorative motifs. Good example of type. Panel with painting of
Last Supper above. Large Squint between south transept and chancel. Also with
access to rood-loft staircase. Drawing of proposed C19 rood screen in north aisle.
In north transept (probably the Trecorne aisle) circa 1330s funeral recess (cf Church
of St Ivo, St Ive). Ogee arch with crocketted finials. Recess in south end of south
transept (Trehunsey aisle) undecorates. Piscinas to east of south door with cusped
head, in east end of north aisle also with cusped head and on east side of south
transept with 2-centred moulded arch. Square font of Pentewan stone with chamfered
corners and round bowl on later octagonal base. Restored.
Monuments; on north side of chancel to Obadiah Gossop, Rector of St Tudy died 1659.
Traces of ancient paint. Carved with relief of hand from Heaven with sickle. Others
to William Stephens with date covered. Altar tomb of Hugh Vashmond, died 1599
erected by Hugh Vashmond of the younger 1607. Well carved with inscription.
Brasses; to Roger Kyndgon 1395-1471. On chancel floor by pulpit in front of south
transept. Effigies of Rogenis Kyndon and wife 'Joh'na' with 11 sons and 5 daughters.
Eldest son Edward in robes with coronet on left shoulder. Documents held in Tower of
London dated 1461 and 1484 record him as Yeoman of the Guard. Other examples of
crown keepers or Yeoman bearing crown on left shoulder include James Tornay, 1519 in
Slapton, Bucks and Thomas None, 1567, Shottesbrooke, Berks. Brass to Richard and
Isabel Chiverton, engraved 1631. On west wall of south transept. Effigies of
Richard and Isabel with 11 children. Family arms impaling those of Polwhele removed.
Inscriptions and epitaph.
Flooring; chancel relaid in 1878-9 with Minton encaustic tiles and nave, aisle and
transepts with Webb's Worcester tiles.
Stained glass by Rev William Willimott. Vigorous and worthy of note. Early glass
incorporated into east window of south transept. North windows depict St Cadoc
building Abbey of Llancarvon; preaching in Quethiock by ancient cross; conversion of
St Paul on the way to Damascus. Chancel windows depict Ascension, Nativity, Baptism
and window with St Hugh with tame swan. Trehunsey Aisle (south transept) with ride
into Jerusalem; Transfiguration and Last Supper West window with Last Judgement.
Bell tower restored in 1967. Not inspected. Three bells inscribed
'John Retallick and Ricardus Bond c.w. 1725 vicar Daniel Baudris'.
'Thomas Hancock and John Body c.w. 1765 vicar E. Morshead'.
'John Rogers and Thomas Kelly c.w. 1786 vicar E. Morshead'.
Parish stocks in south porch.
Church stands on lan.
Rev H. Haines A Manual of Monumental Brasses 1861 rp 1970
D. A. Henwood The Parish Church of Quethiock 1970
N. Pevsner and E. Radcliffe The Buildings of England. Cornwall 2nd ed. 1970
J. Polsue Lake's Parochial History of the County of Cornwall 1967-73 rp 1974
Listing NGR: SX3129964746
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings