This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 50.4595 / 50°27'34"N
Longitude: -4.54 / 4°32'23"W
OS Eastings: 219809
OS Northings: 65271
OS Grid: SX198652
Mapcode National: GBR NB.NHMX
Mapcode Global: FRA 17CV.53Y
Entry Name: Doublebois House
Listing Date: 26 November 1985
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1140051
English Heritage Legacy ID: 61262
Location: Dobwalls and Trewidland, Cornwall, PL14
Civil Parish: Dobwalls and Trewidland
Traditional County: Cornwall
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cornwall
Church of England Parish: Liskeard
Church of England Diocese: Truro
SX 16 NE LISKEARD RURAL DOUBLEBOIS
4/61 Doublebois House
House. 1883-5 extended in 1896. For Herman family. Datestone in extension with
intertwined initials C M H and date 1896. Rock faced snecked slatestone with
freestone dressings. Moulded pinth, freestone quoins and parapet copings. Slate
roof with gabled ends. 9 rubblestone stacks with freestone dressings. Moulded
caps. Quadrangular plan with small central court. Extended on south with gabled
rear wing, originally chapel.
High Victorian Gothic style. 2 storeys, attic and basement. Nearly symmetrical
north entrance front. 2:1:1 windows. Central 2-storey gabled porch with
corbelled kneelers with gablets, and corner buttresses with set-offs and gablets.
Moulded 2-centred arch doorway with Corinthian capitals and 3-light stone mullion
and transom window above. Small lancet in gable. Ground floor to left and right,
large stone mullion and transom windows with cusped heads lights and transoms. 1
single-light and two 2-light stone mullion windows to first floor with transoms.
West front has similar window types. 1:3:2 bays with flanking gabled bays, the
left with crenellated stone first floor oriel supported on buttress shaft flanked
by lancets. The centre 3 window recess has stone balcony, the balustrade with
shields at intervals, windows with cusped head lights and with 2-light window
above. Right-hand gable has similar 5-light ground floor window, centre blind,
with 2-light windows above. Wing set back to right of west front with single-
storey C20 conservatory in the angle. Much of plasterwork in interior removed
with several rotten floors and ceilings. Some panelling remains. Only 2 room of
interior inspected. Believed to have contained a fine music room and chapel.
Also much stained glass. A late example of High Victorian Gothic style.
In 1910, seat of Rev. George Edward Hermon.
Kellys Directory 1910.
Listing NGR: SX1980965271
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings