History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Corfe Castle Railway Station

A Grade II Listed Building in Corfe Castle, Dorset

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 50.6383 / 50°38'17"N

Longitude: -2.0551 / 2°3'18"W

OS Eastings: 396196

OS Northings: 82071

OS Grid: SY961820

Mapcode National: GBR 33G.WRW

Mapcode Global: FRA 67LD.15Z

Entry Name: Corfe Castle Railway Station

Listing Date: 24 May 1994

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1140121

English Heritage Legacy ID: 352127

Location: Corfe Castle, Purbeck, Dorset, BH20

County: Dorset

District: Purbeck

Civil Parish: Corfe Castle

Built-Up Area: Corfe Castle

Traditional County: Dorset

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Dorset

Church of England Parish: Corfe Castle St Edward the Martyr

Church of England Diocese: Salisbury

Find accommodation in
Corfe Castle

Listing Text

CORFE CASTLE
Corfe Castle Railway Station
SY98SE
1071-0/7/10000
II
Railway station. Built in 1885 for the London and South Western Railway Company.
Coursed and dressed rock-faced Purbeck stone. Plain clay tile roof, hipped and gabled, with
crested ridge tiles and moulded bargeboards. Axial and lateral stone stacks with moulded and
weathered caps. PLAN: Station master's house with cross-wing at the south end, booking
hall at the centre and waiting rooms at the north end. Victorian Gothic style. EXTERIOR:
2-storey house on right with gabled cross-wing on its right with rectangular stone bay
window and 3-light sashes, porch with wooden canopy in angle and paired sashes to left.
One storey and attic booking hall at centre, 3:1:3 sashes on right with small side-lights,
centre doorway with shouldered arch and glazed and panelled double doors; hipped dormer
above to right. Single storey waiting room set back slightly on left with 3 small sashes and
hipped roof with louvred ventilator. On east side wooden platform canopy with gabled ends
and open roof, the tie-beams supported on four thin cast-iron columns with ornate pierced
spandrels. INTERIOR not inspected.
HISTORY: Built by the London and South Western Railway Company in 1885 when a
branch line from Wareham to Swanage was constructed.


Listing NGR: SY9619682071

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.