This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 50.4994 / 50°29'57"N
Longitude: -4.1947 / 4°11'41"W
OS Eastings: 244443
OS Northings: 68923
OS Grid: SX444689
Mapcode National: GBR NT.KVRY
Mapcode Global: FRA 273Q.TX8
Entry Name: Okeltor Mine Buildings
Listing Date: 19 October 1987
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1140215
English Heritage Legacy ID: 60884
Location: Calstock, Cornwall, PL18
Civil Parish: Calstock
Traditional County: Cornwall
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cornwall
Church of England Parish: Calstock
Church of England Diocese: Truro
CALSTOCK OKELTOR MINE
SW 46 NW
4/137 Okeltor Mine buildings
Mine buildings including engine house with chimney about 30 metres to north west ;
count house and smithy. Mid - late C19. Slatestone rubble with brick dressings.
Plan: The mine extends from west to east, on the upper bank of the River Tamar,
opposite Gawton om the Devon side. The mine was worked for lead, copper, tin and
arsenic production, and there are a variety of remains of the buildings on site. The
pumping engine house is towards the middle of the side, with chimney to north west.
The count house and smithy are at the west end.
Exterior: The engine house is rectangular, with arched openings with brick dressings.
Bob wall to south. Part of the cylinder plinth, which is 2 wide granite stones,
remains in the centre. The engine house had a 50 inch cylinder draught engine,
operating 75 fathoms of 12 inch plunger lifts and 15 fathoms of 12 inch drawing
lifts, the date of installation being 1864. The chimney is in rubble, circular and
tapered, with brick top and cornice.
The count house is in rubble, single storey with a hipped slate roof ; window to
front and door to side. The smithy is adjacent, also single storey, with corrugated
iron roof ; open fronted.
Other buildings on the site include a dry, boilerhouse, crusher and whim engine
house, Brunton calciner, stamps, buddles, remains of arsenic labrynths and arsenic
chimney. This was one of the most important mines near Calstock, with a quay capable
of taking vessels up to 200 tons. The main engine shaft reached 80 fathoms below the
level of the Tamar, and the main copper load passes under the river into Gawton mine
on the Devon side. Okeltor continued working until 1887.
Sources: Tamar Valley Project. Booker, F.: Industrial Archaeology of the Tamar
Valley 1967. Hamilton Jenkin, A.L.: Mines and Miners of Cornwall 1976.
Listing NGR: SX4444368923
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings