History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Phoenix Farm Brickworks

A Grade II Listed Building in Calstock, Cornwall

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 50.5223 / 50°31'20"N

Longitude: -4.2635 / 4°15'48"W

OS Eastings: 239647

OS Northings: 71613

OS Grid: SX396716

Mapcode National: GBR NQ.JGQ9

Mapcode Global: FRA 17YP.4V9

Entry Name: Phoenix Farm Brickworks

Listing Date: 19 October 1987

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1140225

English Heritage Legacy ID: 60803

Location: Calstock, Cornwall, PL17

County: Cornwall

Civil Parish: Calstock

Traditional County: Cornwall

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cornwall

Church of England Parish: Calstock

Church of England Diocese: Truro

Find accommodation in
Sydenham Damerel

Listing Text

CALSTOCK
SX 37 SE
1/51 Phoenix Farm brickworks
II
Brickworks ; originally known as Phoenix Vitrified Paving and Firebrick Works. 1874.
Limestone with brick dressings.
Plan: Originally a rectangular building, roofed, with 2 panellel back walls and
arched openings to the front. There were formerly beehive kilns to the front and a
chimney. A railway line ran along the front of the brickworks, and there was a
claypit to north and south.
The rectangular building is about 30 metres by 20 metres, with the front wall
surviving; this has 6 round arches with heads of 3 coursese of brick. There is a
return wall to left about 5 metres long. Walls about 2 metres high. In the rear
wall there is one similar arch to right.
There was clay prospecting on Hingston Down in the 1860s, and the Phoenix brickworks
started in 1874, built at a cost of £60000. They produced vitrified paving bricks
for mews, slaughter houses etc, heavy duty blue bricks and glazed terracotta tiles.
The brickworks operated the continuous burning Hoffman type kiln. In July 1875,
a consignment of Phoenix bricks was sent to Kronstadt naval dockyard; the company
terminated the lease 9 years later. The railway line was laid in 1873. Phoenix
brickworks in marked on the 1906 Ordnance Survey map.
Sources: Booker, F.: Industrial Archaeology of the Tamar Valley 1967.


Listing NGR: SX3964771613

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.