History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Bray House

A Grade II Listed Building in Morval, Cornwall

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 50.3906 / 50°23'26"N

Longitude: -4.4337 / 4°26'1"W

OS Eastings: 227101

OS Northings: 57354

OS Grid: SX271573

Mapcode National: GBR NH.SLZP

Mapcode Global: FRA 18L0.JJ3

Entry Name: Bray House

Listing Date: 21 August 1964

Last Amended: 18 December 1985

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1140263

English Heritage Legacy ID: 60692

Location: Morval, Cornwall, PL13

County: Cornwall

Civil Parish: Morval

Traditional County: Cornwall

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cornwall

Church of England Parish: Morval

Church of England Diocese: Truro

Find accommodation in
East Looe

Listing Text

SX 25 NW MORVAL

4/34 Bray House (previously listed as
Bray)
21-8-64

GV II

House. Circa late C16 or early C17 remodelled in mid C19. Probably built for Philip
Mayowe who died in 1590 or for his son Philip who died in 1658. Stone rubble, partly
rendered on left-hand side elevation with slate roof with gable ends to front range
continued down over outshut extension to rear. Late C16/C17 stone rubble chimney stacks
with moulded caps on gable ends and projecting rear lateral hall chimney stack
incorporated into rear outshuts; further C19 front lateral chimney stack at junction of
main range and 2-storey porch heating wide entrance hall remodelled in C19. Projecting
wing at rear of higher side of hall, slate roof with gable end and projecting stone
rubble lateral chimney stack with brick shaft. Offset rear wing at lower end with gable
end and rear lateral stone rubble chimney stack with brick shaft.
Plan comprising front range originally of 2 room and through passage plan with 2-storey
porch; room on left heated by gable end stack and hall on right heated by rear lateral
stack. Stair projection to rear at higher side of hall and solar above hall heated by
gable end stack. Early C17 parlour wing projecting to rear of hall heated by lateral
stack with offset rear wing it lower end, possibly C17 but remodelled in C19, heated by
lateral stack forming overall U-shaped plan. C19 applestore and brewhouse added on
gable end of rear lower projecting wing; mid C19 outshut added to rear of hall and
through passage and mid C19 kitchen added to side of lower char wing in outshut heated
by re-orientated rear lateral chimney stack.
The front range comprised in circa late C16/17 possibly a 3-storey lower end with a 2-
storey higher end comprising hall with solar above. Remodelled in mid C19 to form a 2-
storey range throughout with an almost symmetrical 5-window front with 2-storey porch in
centre. Large C19 3-light mullion window and smaller 2-light mullion window to left of
porch with hoodmoulds and C19 casements; to right of porch 2 large C19 3-light mullion
and transom windows with hoodmoulds and C19 casements. Porch with circa C16 arch,
probably reused from earlier house with 4-centred arch with heavy rollmould, incised
spandrels, hoodmould and rollmoulded jambs with plain stops raised up on granite blocks.
Inner entrance door with C16 arch, also probably reused from earlier house, with 4-
centred arch with heavy rollmould and jambs raised on granite blocks. First floor with
four 2-light C19 stone mullion windows with C19 casements flanking similar window in
gable end of porch with coat of arms of the Mayow family above. (Gules, a chevron vaire
between 3 ducal crown or). Left-hand gabled rear wing of 2 storeys with asymmetrical
3-window front remodelled in C19; C19 4-light mullion window on left, C20 gabled porch
to right with C19 4-centred granite mouled arch and three 2-light C19 mullion windows
above. Rear elevation with 2-storey parlour wing with C19 3-light window openings on
ground and first floor with deeply splayed reveals and chamfered lintels with masons
mitres. Bellcote above with bell removed. Interior Largely remodelled in C19 with
lower side of partition to through passage removed to form large entrance hall heated
by front lateral stack; C19 carved stone chimney piece with 4-centred moulded arch and
carved spandrels. Hall with C20 chimney piece and left-hand rear projecting wing with
C19 carved stone chimney piece with 4-centred arch. C17 framed timber stair to rear of
hall partly remodelled with lower stage enclosed in cupboard; window to stair projection
blocked when incorporated in later outshut with C17 ovolo-moulded lintel visible from
within roof of outshut. C19 carved timber balustrade to balcony at top of stairs within
C19 outshut. Evidence of turreted stair adjoining rear lateral stack in parlour wing
now demolished. Several plank doors with moulded cover strips, probably C19 but of high
quality. Barrell vaulted plaster ceiling to solar above hall with possibly curved feet
of principals projecting beyond the ceiling. Complete late C16 or early C17 10-bay roof
to front range with principals morticed at apex and the collars with notched dovetail
lapped joints with unusual square cut notches on lower side, similar to those at Morval
House (qv). The lower end was originally unceiled with the gable end plastered to the
apex and the principals chamfered both above and below the cranked
Chamfered collars, all with diagonal-cut stops. The 5 trusses above the through passage
and hall were probably always ceiled although the principals are chamfered below the
chamfered cambered collars and have diagonal cut stops. Closed truss above lower side
of passage with possibly C17 door with morticed frame. The softwood framework to the
barrel vaulted ceiling above the solar appears to have been renewed; the frame is well
below collar level with lighter collar members halved, lapped and nailed onto the face
of the principals with crude unjointed braces. Parlour wing with similar 3-bay roof
structure, lower rear wing with roof structure replaced in circa mid C19 and roof
structure to porch not accessible. Bray, part of property of Sir John Robert Tresilian,
judge of King Richard II and later put to death. Later brought by Hawley and then was
purchased from Christopher Copplestone by Philip Mayowe in 1564. A contemporary map
drawn up for Philip Mayowe indicates the site of the manor to the west of the present
house. Mayowe died in 1590 and was buried in St Martins Church. House remained in
hands of Mayowe family until the 1930s. John Mayowe (1640-1679) physiologist and
chemist, Fellow of All Souls, Oxford 1660; D.C.L. 1670, published tract on respiration,
1668, in which he discovered the double articulation of the ribs with the spine, and
put forward views (still discussed) on the internal intercostals, discovered in
'Tractatus quinque' 1674; discussed the chemistry of combustion, and described muscular
action (Concise Dictionary of National Biography). Later member of Mayowe family
Viceroy of India. Several monuments to Mayowe family in Morval Church (qv) and
St Martin Church (qv).
Concise Dictionary of National Biography (XXXVII 175).
[Encylopedia Britannica]
Further Mayowe papers in Cornwall County Record Office.


Listing NGR: SX2762157515

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.