This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 50.3889 / 50°23'20"N
Longitude: -4.4514 / 4°27'5"W
OS Eastings: 225836
OS Northings: 57206
OS Grid: SX258572
Mapcode National: GBR NG.SVVC
Mapcode Global: FRA 18K0.PM2
Entry Name: Almshouses
Listing Date: 18 December 1985
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1140270
English Heritage Legacy ID: 60711
Location: Morval, Cornwall, PL13
Civil Parish: Morval
Traditional County: Cornwall
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cornwall
Church of England Parish: Morval
Church of England Diocese: Truro
SX 25 NE MORVAL LEYLAND
4 almshouses now 2 private houses. 1860. Erected by John Frances Buller of Morval
House (qv). Stone rubble with slate roof with gable ends and sprocketted eaves. 2
large stone rubble front lateral chimney stacks with set-offs.
Row of four 1-room plan cottages; the left-hand two a mirror image of the right-hand
2 cottages, so that the centre 2 cottages have a pair of entrances at the middle of
the range and the end 2 cottages have entrances in the lean-to porches at either end.
2 cottages to right sharing right-hand-front lateral chimney stack and cottages to
left sharing similar left-hand stack. Single storey C19 outshut to rear. Almshouses
now divided to form a pair of semi-detached cottages.
2 storeys symmetrical 4-window front with complete C19 fenestration with diamond-
leaded glazing bars. Ground floor with 2 pairs of C19 3-light casements flanking the
2 projecting front lateral chimney stacks with central pair of entrances in chamfered
4-centred freestone arches now partly blocked. Outer pair of entrances in lean-to
stone rubble porches on gable ends with 4-centred freestone arches. First floor with
2 pairs of C19 3-light casements in gabled half-dormers directly above C19 ground
floor window openings.
Memorial plaque on left-hand chimney stack relates to earlier almshouses at Higher
Trenode stating 'This house and two closes of land were purchased June y 14th 1746.
By Jon Francis Buller Esq out of the profit of the Estates in Kent deuised By Sir
John Hayward Knight to Charitable Uses and given to the poor housekeepers of this
Parish for Ever.'
Second plaque on right-hand chimney stack states 'These Almshouses were rebuilt on
this site in the year 1860 by John Francis Buller Esqr. Great Great Grandson of the
Polsue, J Lake's Parochial History of the County of Cornwall 1867-73 reprinted 1974.
Listing NGR: SX2762157515
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings