This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 50.385 / 50°23'5"N
Longitude: -4.6525 / 4°39'8"W
OS Eastings: 211531
OS Northings: 57263
OS Grid: SX115572
Mapcode National: GBR N5.T4RQ
Mapcode Global: FRA 1840.WVV
Entry Name: Vicarage
Listing Date: 21 August 1964
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1140286
English Heritage Legacy ID: 60648
Location: St. Winnow, Cornwall, PL22
Civil Parish: St. Winnow
Traditional County: Cornwall
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cornwall
Church of England Parish: St Winnow with St Nectan's Chapel
Church of England Diocese: Truro
SX 15 NW ST WINNOW
Vicarage for Church of St Winnow circa 1740 with extension and remodelling circa 1800
by Robert Walker. Possibly earlier wing to rear. Buildings on west demolished in
1933 and further wing demolished in 1968. Single storey C20 extension to rear.
Rubblestone with segmental brick arches to window openings on south front. Slate
cills to windows on left and granite cills to later openings on right. Partly slate
hung on rear. Slate roof with gabled ends and central projecting gabled front with
deep overhanging eaves. Hipped scantle slate roof to rear wing. Brick stacks in
gable ends and to right of centre gabled section.Interior remodelled with main range
comprising long hallway on northside with reception rooms on south. Kitchen range and
staircase in rear projecting wing.
2 storeys and attic and basement on south-west. Almost symmetrical 7 window
front. Earlier building comprises left-hand side and centre range. When extended to
right in circa 1800, the centre 3 bays were projected forward and surmounted by a
gabled roof. Ground floor with 2 sashes, 6 panes above 9 panes each sash to flanking
wings. Three 18-pane sashes to centre. 2nd floor, 2 sashes in wings, 3 panes above 3
panes each sash and 3 sashes, 6 panes above 3 panes (wrongly recorded) in centre. All
windows except attics have horns with exposed boxes. The later right-hand part of
front has sashes in reveals. Deep overhanging eaves of central gabled section
supported on large timber corbelled painted brackets.
Entrance in north-east corner on rear under flat roofed porch supported on timber
posts. Porch continues to north with upper floor, partly stuccoed timber frame
supported on timber posts.
Interior with simple C19 staircase, open string with square balusters and turned
newels. Segmental arch with double doors to parish room on north. Round arch with
fanlight leading to west side of earlier range. Fireplace in room on south-east with
marble doric columns and moulded frame. Simple coved cornices.
Listing NGR: SX1298160436
Other nearby listed buildings