This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 50.3829 / 50°22'58"N
Longitude: -4.6522 / 4°39'7"W
OS Eastings: 211543
OS Northings: 57031
OS Grid: SX115570
Mapcode National: GBR N5.TBTK
Mapcode Global: FRA 1841.3DS
Plus Code: 9C2Q98MX+54
Entry Name: St Winnow Barton
Listing Date: 21 August 1964
Last Amended: 30 April 1985
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1146405
English Heritage Legacy ID: 60643
Location: St. Winnow, Cornwall, PL22
Civil Parish: St. Winnow
Traditional County: Cornwall
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cornwall
Church of England Parish: St Winnow with St Nectan's Chapel
Church of England Diocese: Truro
SX 15 NW ST WINNOW
6/143 St Winnow Barton (formerly listed as
Farmhouse, circa 1840s, reusing stonework or parts of walls from earlier C15/16
mansion. Rubblestone with granite lintels to openings, large stone quoins and steeply
pitched slate roof with gable ends and projecting gabled front on right. Large brick
stack in centre on ridge with 4 diagonal tall shafts.
Single depth plan. 2 storeys, regular 4 window front. Ground floor with three
3-light wrought iron casements with wrought-iron diamond glazing bars. Granite
lintels with reused hoods with labels. In gable front projection C16 fine grained
granite moulded doorway presumably reset with 4-centred arch and hood mould. Ferns
carved in spandrels. C19 studded plank door. To first floor, on left, 3 windows of
same size and pattern to those of ground floor and on right, 2-light wrought iron
casement with wrought iron glazing bars, granite lintel and reused hood.
On left-hand gable end reused blocked granite 2-light mullioned window with
cavetto moulded jambs. On right-hand gable end reused granite pointed arch to ground
floor on left with cavetto moulded jambs. Adjoining, remains of large fireplace with
large granite lintel, partly embedded in rubble wall continuing south from right-hand
gable end. Reported to have C19 King post truss roof.
Adjoining site of earlier mansion of St Winnow. Right-hand gable wall and rear
wall possibly partly incorporating walls of earlier mansion which extended to the east
of the present site. Interior not inspected.
Domesday Manor of St Winnow held by Godfrey from the Bishop.
Ed J Moris Domesday Book, Cornwall, 1086 rp 1979
Listing NGR: SX1155057033
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings