History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

The Old House

A Grade II Listed Building in Duloe, Cornwall

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 50.4258 / 50°25'32"N

Longitude: -4.4973 / 4°29'50"W

OS Eastings: 222715

OS Northings: 61420

OS Grid: SX227614

Mapcode National: GBR ND.QGNM

Mapcode Global: FRA 17GX.PS0

Entry Name: The Old House

Listing Date: 21 August 1964

Last Amended: 18 December 1985

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1140293

English Heritage Legacy ID: 60665

Location: Duloe, Cornwall, PL14

County: Cornwall

Civil Parish: Duloe

Traditional County: Cornwall

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cornwall

Church of England Parish: Herodsfoot

Church of England Diocese: Truro

Find accommodation in
Dobwalls

Listing Text

SX 26 SW DULOE

1/11 The Old House (previously listed as
The Old House, Killigorick in the
21-8-64 parish of Broadoak)
II

House. Rebuilt or remodelled in 1627 (datestone) for Richard Bailey. Stone rubble,
partly rendered with cement-washed slate roof with gable end to hall on right and
hipped end to projecting 2-storey porch on left. Stone rubble end chimney stack to
hall. Projecting stone rubble chimney stack with C20 brick shaft in lower side wall
on left, now heats rooms formed in wide through passage. Small projecting rendered
lateral chimney stack in right-hand side wall of 2-storey porch to heat first floor
room of porch. Shaft removed although fireplace remains.
Plan; probably remains of much larger house, which has probably been reduced, the
lower end demolished and the interior remodelled in the late C19 and mid C20. Large
room on right surviving, possibly the hall, with a 2-storey porch to left with a wide
through passage. The passage has been converted into a small sitting room with the
front and rear doors blocked. A small hall passage has been inserted at the higher
side between the passage and hall and a door introduced in the corner of the porch.
An early C20 stair has been inserted to the rear of the later hall passage. A
turreted stair projection remains to the rear of the hall although the winder stair
has been removed. Circa mid C19 outshut to rear.
2 storeys, asymmetrical 3-window front with range at higher end remodelled in mid
C19. Main range on right with 16-pane sash with horns with brick segmental arch on
ground floor. Remains of moulded string course above ground floor to right of
opening which probably continued as a dripmould over the hall window possibly stone
mullion window of 3 or 4 lights. Above, two 16-pane sashes with horns with brick
segmental arches. 2-storey porch with rollmoulded 3-centred arch in granite surround
with hoodmould. Date 1627 incised in spandrels and initials R B carved in square
label stops. Above, early C20 3-light casement in rectangular granite surround of
mullion window with jambs, lintel and hoodmould retained. Inner door within porch 4-
centred grantie arch with recessed spandrels with small central balls. Chamfered
arch and jambs with ogee stops with balls. Opening now blocked and partly glazed
with entrance door to right in angle. In right-hand gable end, chamber over hall is
lit by 2-light mullion window with hoodmould. Chamfered mullions with hollow
chamfers to inner face. Rear elevation with stair projection partly incorporated in
later outshut. First floor with granite jambs and lintel for 2-light mullion window
opening.
Interior Through passage now blocked. Rear entrance to through passage visible from
within rear outshut. It has shallow 4-centred granite arch with chamfered unstopped
jambs and arch. Hall on right with heavy chamfered ceiling beams at fairly close
centres. Only 1 beam stopped with runout stops. Large fireplace with probably
replaced unmoulded granite lintel. Unmoulded granite upright to left and further
fireplace opening with further unmoulded granite lintel to left. Cloam oven with
door. Stair projection to rear of hall. Segmental-arched opening, now blocked, in
side of stair projection. Winder stairs removed. First floor with circa C17
fireplace in room above porch; granite with chamfered jambs, chamfered and stopped
lintel and granite hearth stone. C19 nailed collar rafter roof with no evidence of
earlier roof.
Several pieces of dressed granite in garden with heavy chamfers with ogee stops and
bar and ogee stops. To right of house, 2 circa C17 granite columns on square bases
with capitals. Found buried in garden and resited.
Domesday Manor held prior to 1066 by Uhtred. The Bailey family lived at Killigorick
from at least 1620 to 1708. Cornwall County Record Office hold the will of Richard
Baley of Duloe, dated 1620, together with an inventory of goods of the said Richard
Baley, late of Duloe, taken at Killigorick. Also will of son, Richard Bailey, dated
1683. The datestone and initials on the porch probably refer to the latter.
Sources Copies of wills and inventories of the Bailey family held by the present
owners. Report of the Old House, Killigorick by Tonkin.


Listing NGR: SX2271561420

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.