This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 50.5021 / 50°30'7"N
Longitude: -4.4473 / 4°26'50"W
OS Eastings: 226542
OS Northings: 69788
OS Grid: SX265697
Mapcode National: GBR NG.KPH2
Mapcode Global: FRA 17KQ.R7M
Entry Name: Engine House and Chimney at Jope's Shaft
Listing Date: 5 November 1987
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1140479
English Heritage Legacy ID: 62228
Location: St. Cleer, Cornwall, PL14
Civil Parish: St. Cleer
Traditional County: Cornwall
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cornwall
Church of England Parish: St Cleer
Church of England Diocese: Truro
ST CLEER SOUTH CARADON MINE
SX 26 NE
11/90 Engine house and chimney at
Engine house and chimney. Circa 1864. Granite rubble with granite quoins and brick
Rectangular engine house, with rear gable end to south, front gable end to north with
remains of attached rectangular building. Detached chimney about 10 metres to north
east, connected by an underground flue to the middle building.
Engine house North gable end has wide round arch at ground floor, narrow arch above,
2 small square openings above and round arched opening in the gable apex. Left side
has a window with flat granite lintel at ground floor, 2 round-arched openings at
first floor and window at upper right level with flat granite lintel. Right side has
doorway with flat granite lintel, round-arched window at first floor. The rear gable
end is the bob wall, with round-arched window at ground floor with splayed reveal
internally; upper bob opening across the whole width of the building. Trench and
side walls to south east of bob wall.
Interior: Engine pit at the rear gable end.
Remains of rectangular building attached to west, with chimney about 3 metres from
its north gable end. The chimney is circular in plan, tapered, with an inspection
hole at the base. Connected by an underground flue to the middle building.
Jope's Shaft was an extension of the South Caradon Mine; the shaft was sunk in 1864,
and a man-engine was put in to Jope's Shaft by 1868. The mine was closed in 1885.
Sources: Barton, D.B.: A Historical Survey of the Mines and Mineral Railways of East
Cornwall and West Devon 1964.
Listing NGR: SX2654269788
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings