History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.


A Grade II* Listed Building in Linkinhorne, Cornwall

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »


Latitude: 50.5381 / 50°32'17"N

Longitude: -4.4085 / 4°24'30"W

OS Eastings: 229423

OS Northings: 73691

OS Grid: SX294736

Mapcode National: GBR NJ.HFFK

Mapcode Global: FRA 17NM.VQX

Entry Name: Westcott

Listing Date: 8 August 1983

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1140496

English Heritage Legacy ID: 62166

Location: Linkinhorne, Cornwall, PL17

County: Cornwall

Civil Parish: Linkinhorne

Traditional County: Cornwall

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cornwall

Church of England Parish: Linkinhorne

Church of England Diocese: Truro

Find accommodation in

Listing Text

SX 27 SE
6/29 Westcott
Farmhouse, now house. Late C16 - early C17 origin; remodelled and extended in 1653
by Edward Kneebone; what survives may be a fragment of a larger house of this date,
or possibly the house was never completed. Alterations of early C18, circa 1700,
including the stair. Later alterations of C19 and C20. Slatestone rubble with
granite dressings. Slate roof with ridge tiles and gable ends. Gable end stack with
rubble shaft and granite coping to right gable end and gable end stack to front left
Plan: What remains is an L-plan fragment of a probably larger building, which may
have been a U-plan. As seen from the front, the later parlour wing of 1653 is to
right, and the wing projecting to front left is the earlier building. This appears
to be the hall and inner room; the hall is heated by a stack now at the front gable
end, which would originally have been in an axial position at its lower end. The
inner room has a later corner fireplace on what would have been the rear wall.
Probably in the later C17 or early C18, the front or rear of this hall (now the left
side) was extended, so that it projects beyond the inner room. In 1653, the house
was enlarged by a stair hall and main parlour, attached at right angles to the inner
room and with access into the original hall. The staircase was reconstructed in
circa 1700, with a closet at ground floor below the stair well. In circa mid C19, a
doorway was inserted in the front of the stair hall, which was re-inserted as a
window in late C20. The need for a doorway in this position indicates either that
the U-plan wing with main entrance was removed. It seems likely that the work of
remodelling and enlarging the house in 1653 was interrupted before a main entrance
was built.
Exterior: 2 storeys; in the parlour wing, the ground floor has 3-light stone mullion
window (C20 replacement) and a 6-light granite window with king mullion, hood mould
with stops. First floor has 3-light and 4-light granite mullion windoows, with king
mullions, hood moulds with stops. At first floor to centre, granite stone with EK
and crest, an uprooted tree; datestone 1653 to right. To left, there is a small
chamfered single light at ground and first floor. To left, there is the 2-storey
gabled wing of the early house. This has end stack with oven at the base, porch with
pitched roof and C20 door to left of the stack. The right gable end of the parlour
wing is rendered, with 2-light chamfered granite casement at first floor to left,
with iron stanchions and hood mould. At the left side, the front wing has ground and
first floor 3-light wooden casement, at first floor with L hinges. Sipped roof to
left, with C20 glazed door and first floor 3-light casement, blocked chamfered
granite window to left; buttress. The rear is rendered, with 2 windows at first
floor in the stair hall, one 3-light and small 2-light, both granite casements with
hollow-chamfered mullions.
Interior: The parlour in the parlour wing has a large chamfered granite fireplace
with flat lintel and C19 wooden mantel. Slate floor. Fine plasterwork ceiling of
1653 with knot pattern, acorn and oak leaf bosses and fruit sprays. C18 box cornice.
C18 doorframe with C19 plain door. The stair hall has an open-well stair, with early
C18 balustrade at first floor with turned balusters. The doorframe to the closet
under the stairs is ovolo-moulded, with a bobbin-turned balustrade as a ventilator
over the doorway; 2-panelled door. The doorway to left, leading into the original
hall, has a fine 9-panelled door, with moulded studded battens and fleur-de-lys strap
hinges. The frame, facing the hall is ovolo-moulded, with vase stops with carved
stylised flowers.
The original hall has slate floor and heavy chamfered beams; extended by a further
bay to the outer side. Gable end fireplace of C20 reconstruction. The inner room
altered in late C20 with corner fireplace.
At first floor, there are 3 fine C17 panelled doors, in ovolo-moulded frames, leading
to the chamber over the parlour, the chamber over the stair hall and the chamber over
the original inner room. Good ironmongery to the doors. The chamber over the
parlour has plaster barrel vault, plain; there is a honeysuckle plasterwork frieze
and cornice, and plasterwork overmantel with vase of flowers and a bird perching on a
stem. The fireplace is granite, with cambered chamfered arch. The plaster frieze is
carried over the feet of the principals. Over the stairs is a small closet of
uncertain purpose.
Roof: Chamfered collars over the parlour wing. Much renewed in late C20.
Westcott retains unusually high quality internal features, particularly the

Listing NGR: SX2917273224

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.