This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 50.376 / 50°22'33"N
Longitude: -4.1953 / 4°11'43"W
OS Eastings: 243995
OS Northings: 55199
OS Grid: SX439551
Mapcode National: GBR R1M.2P
Mapcode Global: FRA 2831.MDK
Entry Name: Wesleyan Methodist Church
Listing Date: 18 March 1986
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1140586
English Heritage Legacy ID: 61988
Location: Torpoint, Cornwall, PL11
Civil Parish: Torpoint
Built-Up Area: Torpoint
Traditional County: Cornwall
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cornwall
Church of England Parish: Torpoint
Church of England Diocese: Truro
SX 45 NW TORPOINT QUARRY STREET, Torpoint
3/337 Wesleyan Methodist
Methodist Church. Dated 1795 on Quarry Street front, with extension dated 1908 on
Fore Street front. There was considerable remodelling in the 1908 alterations, and a
row of late C19 cottages was attached to he church on the Quarry Street side, used as
schoolroom and meeting rooms. Rubble, rendered, slate roof with gable,ends. The
Quarry Street cottages are in Devon limestone rubble with brick dressings and slate
roofs, stacks removed.
Entrance through vestibule under the gallery, to the auditorium; rostrum at opposite
end. Vestry to rear right (east). The cottages extend to east along Quarry Street
and form an overall U-plan.
The Quarry Street front is on plinth, with rusticated pilasters and pediment.
Central pair of recessed doors, both double doors, 2-panelled, with plain pilasters
and plain frieze over. 2 windows at upper level, with round arches and eared
architraves with triple keystones, triple aprons, each window of 2 lights with round-
headed lights and upper roundel. Cornice and pediment, with central panel with
moulded surround and guttae, inscription Wesleyan Chapel 1795.
The Fore Street front has 4 bays to right of the C18 building and one bay to left of
1908. Bays to right have 2-light windows at ground floor, with round-headed lights
and segmental head over, raised aprons; windows at upper level also 2-light with
round heads, smaller than at ground floor, with segmental arch, eared architrave and
triple keystone, moulded apron with guttae. Rusticated pilasters and moulded eaves
cornice. The end bay to left is dated 1908, with plinth and rusticated pilasters,
large round-headed window in shouldered architrave with triple keystone and plain
apron. Pediment over with shield in scrolled surround with swags of fruit to each
side. Windows lattice glazed. On the Quarry Street front, attached to right, row of
2 storey former cottages, with straight joint to end bay. 3 C20 windows at ground
floor and door to left, all with brick segmental heads and surround, similar 4-pane
sash at upper level to right, first floor has two 4-pane sashes in brick surrounds
under eaves. The right side is in 2 blocks, both of 3 storeys on rendered plinth, 4
windows to left and 5 to right, all 4-pane and plate-glass sashes except 2nd floor to
right, which has 2 large lattice-glazed windows with transoms. Roof hipped to right
end and end wall rebuilt in brick at 2nd floor level.
Interior The gallery over the vestibule is of the 1795 building, with panelled front
on cast iron fluted piers with fluted capitals. All windows have roll-moulded
surround with segmental head. Dado panelling, cornice over ground floor windows and
moulded cornice to whole auditorium. At the opposite end from the gallery is the
rostrum: this has a front in panels of cast iron, in fish-scale pattern, to right
and left tiers of pews going to each side of the organ to rear of the rostrum; these
pews also have a front panel in cast iron. To the rear of the organ, a round arch
with pilasters to sides and keystone. Similar round arch to left, with triple
keystone, and arch to right, with keystone and panelled soffit, pilasters to sides.
This arch leads to the vestry, which has 2 small rooms leading off it. Straight
stair to rear of vestibule leading to gallery. There is a line in the ceiling at the
point where the church was extended in 1908.
The row of cottages on the Quarry Street front was altered considerably in late
C19/early C20, to form a schoolroom at ground floor and meeting rooms at first floor.
The church is a prominent building in Torpoint.
(Sources: Stell, C.: Nonconformist chapels RCHM)
Listing NGR: SX4400855202
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings