This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 50.2156 / 50°12'56"N
Longitude: -5.1772 / 5°10'38"W
OS Eastings: 173426
OS Northings: 39899
OS Grid: SW734398
Mapcode National: GBR Z6.2K56
Mapcode Global: FRA 081G.8TK
Entry Name: The Fox and Hounds Inn
Listing Date: 3 February 1986
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1140907
English Heritage Legacy ID: 63230
Location: Gwennap, Cornwall, TR16
Civil Parish: Gwennap
Traditional County: Cornwall
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cornwall
Church of England Parish: Gwennap
Church of England Diocese: Truro
SW 74 NW
6/132 The Fox and Hounds Inn
Inn. Dated 1742 over doorway extended C19 and C20. Moorstone rubble with granite
jambstones and lintels. Dry Delabole slate roof with original wooden modillioned
eaves cornice to front. Axial brick chimney and brick chimneys over gable ends.
Roof has shallow pitch to rear to incorporate first floor of later outshuts. Hipped
scantle slate roof over stair wing to rear of entrance. Originally 3 room plus rear
stair wing plan. Outshuts added C19 in 2 phases. C20 extension to rear wing. 2
storeys. 4-window south front of 1 window to left and symmetrical 3-window part to
right with central doorway. Nowy-headed datestone over doorway with NTA (National
Turnpike Association). Old 6-panel door. Windows are circa early C19 hornless
tripartite sashes with glazing bars. Wide openings window over door is narrower.
Ground floor left window is wider and second ground floor window, ie. to left of
door, has been narrowed. Lean-to at gable end, left.
Interior has original granite flags to entrance passage and original dog-leg stair.
C18 adjustable iron grate, originally between hobs, resited in altered fireplace of
middle room. This grate was discovered in less altered fireplace to right-hand room
circa 1970. Later beamed ceilings except alternate beams to right-hand (east) room.
Listing NGR: SW7342639899
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings