This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 50.2239 / 50°13'26"N
Longitude: -5.1498 / 5°8'59"W
OS Eastings: 175420
OS Northings: 40735
OS Grid: SW754407
Mapcode National: GBR Z8.Q0C1
Mapcode Global: FRA 083F.MJK
Entry Name: Cusgarne Manor Farmhouse and Mounting Block to Rear
Listing Date: 14 February 1985
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1140913
English Heritage Legacy ID: 63240
Location: Gwennap, Cornwall, TR4
Civil Parish: Gwennap
Traditional County: Cornwall
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cornwall
Church of England Parish: Gwennap
Church of England Diocese: Truro
GWENNAP HIGHER CUSGARNE
SW 74 SE
5/140 Cusgarne Manor Farmhouse and
mounting block to rear
Farmhouse. Possibly with C16 core but at least partly rebuilt in 1629, (datestone in
west wall), incorporating earlier fragments. Front remodelled at least once in
the C17 and finally part of front remodelled and integral rear stair turret with
flanking outshuts added early C18. Coursed granite rubble and dressed granite quoins
and window arches. Flush granite sills. Slurried slate roof with gabled ends and
wooden moulded eaves cornice with modillion brackets. Brick chimney stacks over
gable ends. Originally probably 3-room through passage plan but remodelled early C18
as double depth plan of 2 front rooms, wide central cross passage and central stair
turret at rear, flanked by shallow single-storey integral outshuts containing service
rooms. 2-room kitchen range to east possibly incorporating part of earlier single
depth phase of house. Wide chimney breast to ground floor west end. 2 storeys and
attic to symmetrical 5-window south front. Lower 2-window kitchen range to right.
Symmetrical part has dressed granite flat arches to ground floor openings possibly
replacing timber lintels. Central doorway with 6-panel top-glazed door with original
flush bottom panels. First floor opening are spanned by continuous wooden lintel
with ovolo-moulding and ogee stops. Original 24-pane sashes with wide glazing bars
and internal ovolo-mouldings. Window over door is wider with 30 panes. Further
early C18 24-pane sash to adjoining ground floor opening of kitchen range right.
Doorway and window over probably inserted circa late C17 and window widened early
C18. Other openings originally much wider but mostly narrowed circa late C17. First
floor left-hand windows not narrowed until early C18 as position of stops over
blocked in parts proves. Some granite fragments of earlier mullioned windows reused
as jambstones to right adjoining kitchen and elsewhere. Ground floor window of
kitchen may be in original door position as rear door is opposite. Small square
early C18 central raking roof dormer with single light 9-pane casement. Many
original crested clay ridge tiles. Kitchen part right has tall brick chimney over
cross wall and further brick chimney over gable end, right. Rear has central tall
gable stair tower, flanked by integral outshuts under catslide roofs. Original back
door with 6 fielded panels to left.
Interior The original early C18 plan survives and the C18 joinery is largely intact
including 2-panel doors with HL hinges, architraves and panelled window shutters.
Original dog-leg stair, boarded where balustrade would normally be. Partly blocked
hearths with C20 fireplaces. Original C18 floors and roof structure with pegged
queen struts and apices. Roof structure over east range not inspected but may be
Granite mount ng block with 3 steps adjoins north wall of rear yard.
A fascinating multi-phase house but almost completely unaltered since the early C18
with extremely rare and complete early sash windows with much original glass.
Complemented by surviving contemporary roof and eaves cornice, and a wall surface
which evokes the buildings earlier periods.
The rear with its central stair tower flanked by service outshuts is an important
feature which has not been altered since the early C18.
Listing NGR: SW7542040735
Other nearby listed buildings