This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 50.2246 / 50°13'28"N
Longitude: -5.1432 / 5°8'35"W
OS Eastings: 175897
OS Northings: 40799
OS Grid: SW758407
Mapcode National: GBR Z8.PVH7
Mapcode Global: FRA 083F.J45
Entry Name: Cusgarne House
Listing Date: 3 February 1986
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1140915
English Heritage Legacy ID: 63246
Location: Gwennap, Cornwall, TR4
Civil Parish: Gwennap
Traditional County: Cornwall
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cornwall
Church of England Parish: Gwennap
Church of England Diocese: Truro
GWENNAP LOWER CUSGARNE
SW 74 SE
5/146 Cusgarne House
Farmhouse. Probably C17 but front partly rebuilt or refaced and rear extended circa
mid C18. Killas and granite rubble with granite quoins and jambstones. Wooden
lintels with traces of stucco, incised to resemble voussoirs. Hipped dry Delabole
slate roof to front with alternate crested clay ridge tiles and wooden eaves cornice
with bobbin detail. Scantle slate and some dry slate to rear. Brick chimney over
side walls and to gable ends of rear wings.
2-room plan with central stair in rear turret flanked by adjoining projecting service
wings, each with 1 room. Large lateral chimney breast survives from earlier period
to rear of front right (east) room. Large chimney breast of same period to west of
2 storeys. Nearly symmetrical 3-window south front. All original mid C18 paired
sashes with original wide glazing bars with internal ovolo moulding. Wide openings.
The word 'Cosgarne' is scratched on 1 pane of ground floor left window. 12-panes per
sash except 16-panes per sash to wider window over wide nearly central doorway.
Original 6-panel door with top two panels later glazed. Original flanking sidelights
each with 8-panes. Wide hood with moulded cornice over doorway supported on brackets
and with consoles flanking door. Some arch and jambstones probably from earlier
front survive in yard wall to rear (north) of kitchen.
Interior is virtually unaltered since the mid C18 and has dado panelling to entrance
hall and front rooms; formerly with horizontal boarding to right (east) room but now
divided into rectangular panels. Otherwise panelling is fielded or with ovolo
moulding, except some smaller panels probably from earlier period of house reused in
entrance hall above dado level and to large walk in cupboards. Arch between
vestibule and stair. Original moulded chair rails, doors with fittings, architraves
and window shutters. Fine dog-leg stair with moulded handrail and newel caps and
splat balusters. Kitchen to rear east has slate flagged floor and bowtell moulded
beams. First floor and roof not inspected but said to be original.
Cusgarne House was rented by James Watt between 1781 and 1800, during which period he
supervised the installation of steam engines to his design, being fitted to mines in
An unusually intact mid-C18 interior and rare survival of complete mid-C18
fenestration with much original glass. Rear elevation is also unspoilt and overlooks
courtyard of unaltered circa early C19 stone outbuildings.
Listing NGR: SW7589740799
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings