This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 50.1637 / 50°9'49"N
Longitude: -4.9789 / 4°58'44"W
OS Eastings: 187343
OS Northings: 33547
OS Grid: SW873335
Mapcode National: GBR ZL.2WYT
Mapcode Global: FRA 08GL.840
Entry Name: Rosteague House and Stable Block
Listing Date: 28 February 1952
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1141012
English Heritage Legacy ID: 62979
Location: Gerrans, Cornwall, TR2
Civil Parish: Gerrans
Traditional County: Cornwall
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cornwall
Church of England Parish: Gerrans
Church of England Diocese: Truro
SW 83 SE GERRANS
5/14 Rosteague House and Stable
Country house and stable block. C15-C16 remodelled circa 1700 and extended 1820 for
Henry Harris, stable block probably mid C19. Slatestone rubble walls with granite
dressings to wings. Scantle slate hipped roofs with many C17-C18 crested ridge
tiles, brick axial chimneys and tall lateral stone stack to rear and north. Original
range extended with wing to right, front and small chapel (first mentioned 1401) to
north of main range, further extended probably C17 with wing to rear (south) and then
with wing to front left 1820; finally L-shaped stable block forming rectangular rear
courtyard. 2 storeys, symmetrical, 5 windows east front with identical flanking
wings 2 bays deep and 1 bay wide. Central 6-panel door with roundel in overlight,
flat slatestone ground floor arches to main block and shallow granite arches with
projecting keys to ground floor of wings and granite quoins. C19, 12-pane sashes.
Rear has outer granite frame and hoodmould 3 light mullioned window to left, now with
tripartite sash. Relieving arch under left jamb to cellar, now inaccessable: Wide
C19, 3-light wooden mullioned window over with sash and timber lintel. To right is
joint corresponding to position of early newel stair recess which survives within. To
right of this is 2 storey projection of C16-C17 porch remodelled C19 and original
doorway possibly removed to Saint Nun's Well nearby. External stack with tall shaft
right and first floor openings to right of this have C17 ovolo moulded lintels.
Copies of these lintels to ground floor and to some openings in rear wing. Cobbled
courtyard. Hollow chamfered, 2-light granite mullioned window survives to north
gable end of chapel and similar window partly blocked by early C18 flight of
semi-circular granite steps to north wall of main range.
Interior has chamfered, pointed doorway of Pentewan stone between hall and kitchen.
Earliest walling survives in kitchen which has enormous hearth breast now serving
several flues but with large stone chimney visible in roof space and evidence for
lower roof level to this part originally. Circa 1700 plaster ceiling cornice in
hall, first floor passage and in conjunction with fine torus moulded plaster ceiling
in parlour with oval bay leaf and oak leaf garland. Also complete bolection moulded
panelling to this room except to fireplace which has C16 granite jambs and lintel,
all resited and with roll moulding between cavettos. Further granite fireplace
C16-C17 chamfered with pyramid stops in north west room adjoining chapel. Many
2-panel and 3-panel circa 1700 doors with original HL hinges. Late C18 marble
fireplace to hall is insertion C20.
First floor rooms not inspected. Roof structure of main range probably circa 1700
with lapped and pegged pine collars and principals but 2 late C17 doors with shallow
moulded stiles and rails survive at north end. Roof structure of wings with king
post trusses is probably 1820.
Partly converted stable block of slatestone has shallow brick arches to openings and
dry, Delabole slate hipped roofs.
A deed relating to Trewithian is witnessed by John Restack 1365. In 1401 John Petit
and his wife Mary had licence to celebrate Divine service at their chapel at Resteak.
In the Gerrans subsidy Rolls John Rostack (in 1535 called Rostege and 1543 Rosteke)
is the richest man in the parish. (Extracts from a letter from Charles Henderson to
Mr Van Grutton). Rosteague was held by Mohun family from circa 1610 until sold to
Nicholas Kempe 1619. The Kempes sold Rosteague to W. Harris in 1780 (Lysons Cornwall
Listing NGR: SW8734333547
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings