History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Barn and Two Adjoining Engine Houses Approximately 10 Metres North of Trewithen Farmhouse

A Grade II* Listed Building in Probus, Cornwall

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 50.2926 / 50°17'33"N

Longitude: -4.9293 / 4°55'45"W

OS Eastings: 191449

OS Northings: 47731

OS Grid: SW914477

Mapcode National: GBR ZN.GQFP

Mapcode Global: FRA 08K8.9F8

Entry Name: Barn and Two Adjoining Engine Houses Approximately 10 Metres North of Trewithen Farmhouse

Listing Date: 17 October 1984

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1141079

English Heritage Legacy ID: 62832

Location: Probus, Cornwall, TR2

County: Cornwall

Civil Parish: Probus

Traditional County: Cornwall

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cornwall

Church of England Parish: Probus

Church of England Diocese: Truro

Find accommodation in
Probus

Listing Text

PROBUS
SW 94 NW
5/81 Barn and 2 adjoining Engine
houses approx 10 metres North
of Trewithen Home Farmhouse

GV II*

Barn with two engine houses. C18 barn with circa 1800 horse engine house and a steam
engine house added in 1811. Flemish bound brick over stone plinth and with hipped
Delabole slate roof. Rectangular plain barn with horse engine house at rear and steam
engine house in the angle. Two storey. Six bays Slightly arched openings and dove
holes under wide eaves. South end wall has flight of granite steps with iron handrail
to loading door. Horse engine house at rear with steam engine house added in the
angle with a lean to roof. Interior: Pegged tie beam and collar rafter roof structure
in Main Barn. The steam engine was installed for. Sir Christopher Hawkins in 1811. It
was designed by Richard Trevithick and built at the Hayle Foundry. It was the first
steam engine made for threshing and the earliest surviving agricultural steam engine
in the world. It is now in store at the Science Museum Kensington. The engine was
taken out and exhibted at the Royal Agricultural Society Show at Kilburn in 1879 and
presented to the Science Museum by the Royal Agricultural Society in the same year.
The Trevithick engine is a single acting high pressure non-condensing steam-engine.
The boiler is a later replacement of possibly 1854. Information supplied by the
Science Museum, Kensington, London and the Royal Agricultural Society, Belgrave Square,
London.


Listing NGR: SW9144947731

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.