This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 50.2906 / 50°17'26"N
Longitude: -4.9311 / 4°55'52"W
OS Eastings: 191309
OS Northings: 47516
OS Grid: SW913475
Mapcode National: GBR ZN.GXMG
Mapcode Global: FRA 08K8.8QX
Entry Name: Trewithen House
Listing Date: 20 February 1956
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1141100
English Heritage Legacy ID: 62778
Location: Probus, Cornwall, TR2
Civil Parish: Probus
Traditional County: Cornwall
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cornwall
Church of England Parish: Probus
Church of England Diocese: Truro
SW 94 NW
5/71 Trewithen House
Country house 1723, and added to by Thomas Edwards circa 1738 and Sir Robert Taylor
circa 1750-1760s. Granite ashlar, Pentewan stone ashlar and stucco with hipped
slate roofs and rendered stacks. Double depth plan with central stairs. 2
storeys. North front is 2:5:2 bays with flanking bays broken forward, incised
stucco with granite keystones. Rusticated central round arched stone doorcase has
C18 fielded panelled door with sidelights and semi-circular arched fanlight.
Paired brackets to doorcase support cornice with mutules. Original C18 twelve
paned sashes with crown glass and heavy ovolo moulded glazing bars to all fronts.
Granite sills and moulded cornice to parapet. Hipped dormers over. East front
(probably 1723) is granite ashlar of 2:3:2 bays. Canted central bays with central
door with projecting keystone. Plinth, plain lintels and flanking pilasters with
moulded cornices. Windows in left 2 bays are glazed but blocked behind. South
front is Pentewan stone ashlar of 2:5:2 bays with central bay broken forward and
taller. Central doorcase has pulvinated frieze and consoles supporting moulded
cornice. Central bays have window architraves and bracketed sills. Moulded
parapet cornice is like doorcase one. Interior has many fine rooms including pine
panelled central east room with Ionic doorcase leading to south east oak panelled
room with good Ionic detail. Central south room has arcaded screens to west and
east ends of 3 semi circular arches springing from capitals with complete Ionic
entablatures in the Roman manner with plaster vaulted ceilings behind. Rococo
arabesques decorate fireplace wall. Main central cantilevered staircase is in semi
circular open well and has wreathed handrail over newel. Other central stair has
geometric balustrade of oriental inspiration. Reference County Life Vol.113 pages
[99-993 and 1072-1075 and Vol. 132 pp.774.
Listing NGR: SW9130947516
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings