History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

10, Angel Hill

A Grade II Listed Building in Bury St Edmunds, Suffolk

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.2458 / 52°14'44"N

Longitude: 0.7157 / 0°42'56"E

OS Eastings: 585497

OS Northings: 264318

OS Grid: TL854643

Mapcode National: GBR QF0.1S0

Mapcode Global: VHKD4.CT78

Entry Name: 10, Angel Hill

Listing Date: 7 August 1952

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1141159

English Heritage Legacy ID: 466628

Location: Bury St. Edmunds, St. Edmundsbury, Suffolk, IP33

County: Suffolk

District: St. Edmundsbury

Civil Parish: Bury St Edmunds

Built-Up Area: Bury St Edmunds

Traditional County: Suffolk

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Suffolk

Church of England Parish: Bury St Edmunds St John the Evangelist

Church of England Diocese: St.Edmundsbury and Ipswich

Find accommodation in
Bury Saint Edmunds

Listing Text


BURY ST EDMUNDS

TL8564SW ANGEL HILL
639-1/14/167 (North side)
07/08/52 No.10

GV II

House. Late C16/early C17 core, early C19 exterior. White
brick and slates; mutule eaves soffit; timber-framed fragments
inside.
EXTERIOR: 3 storeys and cellar. 3 window range: sashes with
single vertical glazing-bars in plain reveals with cement flat
arches and raised keystones. A cement band runs at 1st storey
window-sill level. A C19 door surround has panelled pilasters
and a small cornice on stub brackets. A later rear extension
has 2 flat-headed dormers in the rear slope of the roof with
2-light 4-paned casement windows.
INTERIOR: one exposed chamfered main beam of c1600 in the
front range. A good early C19 stair, originally free-standing,
but now against the west wall, has slender turned balusters on
each side and a plain ramped handrail. A similar flight to the
2nd storey. The principal 1st storey room has a moulded
plaster cornice and casing to the main beam. During part of
the C19 this house was used as a girls' boarding school. One
bay to the left of the entrance door was demolished after
being severely damaged by a fire which destroyed the adjoining
house to the west in 1912.


Listing NGR: TL8549764318

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.