This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.6415 / 51°38'29"N
Longitude: 0.0553 / 0°3'19"E
OS Eastings: 542315
OS Northings: 195632
OS Grid: TQ423956
Mapcode National: GBR N7.6LR
Mapcode Global: VHHMY.X03G
Entry Name: Loughton London Regional Transport Underground Station with Associated Shops and Platforms
Listing Date: 17 May 1994
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1141221
English Heritage Legacy ID: 352187
Location: Loughton, Epping Forest, Essex, IG10
District: Epping Forest
Civil Parish: Loughton
Built-Up Area: Loughton
Traditional County: Essex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Essex
Church of England Parish: Loughton St Mary the Virgin
Church of England Diocese: Chelmsford
TQ 49 NW EPPING FOREST STATION APPROACH
(South side), Loughton
176- /1/10003 Loughton LRT Underground
Station with associated
shops and platforms
Station building, platforms and integral shops. Built for the London and North Eastern Railway in 1939-40 in anticipation of the line's transfer to London Underground. Architect John Murray Easton of Stanley Hall, Easton and Robertson. Steel frame with infil of narrow bond bricks, concrete platform canopies. Flat roofs. The station is reached at the end of an approach road, with projecting cafe on one side. Angled entrance under canopies flanked by shops leads to double-height ticket hall whence passage descends under tracks to platforms. Otigianal tiled entrance and floor, the rest rendered.
Platforms have kidney-shaped flat-slab canopies on piers arranged in alternating broad and narrow bays. The narrow bays infilled by cast poster boards. Similar free-standing information stands are between them, also fixed seating set with Underground roundels (shown in photographs of 1942, so original) in black outline. Pairs of freestanding lampstandards cast with roundel signs at platform ends.
Listing NGR: TQ4231595632
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings