History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Salem Cottage

A Grade II Listed Building in High Roding, Essex

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.8302 / 51°49'48"N

Longitude: 0.3243 / 0°19'27"E

OS Eastings: 560259

OS Northings: 217173

OS Grid: TL602171

Mapcode National: GBR NGV.BS7

Mapcode Global: VHHM4.K8TB

Entry Name: Salem Cottage

Listing Date: 20 February 1967

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1141242

English Heritage Legacy ID: 352751

Location: High Roothing, Uttlesford, Essex, CM6

County: Essex

District: Uttlesford

Civil Parish: High Roothing

Built-Up Area: High Roding

Traditional County: Essex

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Essex

Church of England Parish: High Roding All Saints

Church of England Diocese: Chelmsford

Find accommodation in
Good Easter

Listing Text

TL 60 17 HIGH RODING THE STREET
4/11
20.2.67 Salem Cottage

GV II

Hall house, c.1400, altered in C16, C17 and C20, with addition C18/19. Timber
framed, plastered, roof tiled. Consisted originally of a low 2-bay hall with
integral parlour/solar at SW end, and a contemporary 3-bay service crosswing
at NE end, jettied at the front, c.1400. A brick chimney stack was inserted
in the NE bay of the hall, just off the cross-entry, and a floor inserted, late
C16. In the C17 the front wall of the hall was raised by about 1.5 metres,
but not the rear, and the roof was rebuilt. A long single-storey extension
with axial chimney stack at SW gable, C19. 2 storeys. On ground floor, 2
C20 casement windows, door with gabled and tiled hood, C20, jetty underbuilt
as a bay window with 2 horizontal-movement sash windows, C19. On first floor,
3 C20 casement windows and small diamond-shaped window above door. Single-
storey extension, 3 C20 casement windows. Some framing exposed internally.
Low end of hall had matched pairs of curved rising braces to central post, of
which one remains at each floor. Front and rear doors remain in their original,
medieval positions, but doorheads missing and frames concealed. C16 inserted
stack blocked, with inserted cupboards, brickwork exposed on first floor,
rebuilt above first-floor ceiling. Unchamfered common joists of horizontal
section in crosswing.

It is probable that the roof was tiled originally. An undated photograph at
the NMR shows it thatched, without door hood or diamond-shaped window above,
but all other windows unchanged. A thatch fire in August 1973 destroyed the
roof, except some charred timbers of the front gable of the crosswing. They
show it to have been of crownpost construction, with curved rising braces to
the king stud. As a result of the fire the rear end of the crosswing was
slightly shortened, and the new roofs were tiled. RCHM 15.


Listing NGR: TL6025917173

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.