This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.7962 / 51°47'46"N
Longitude: 0.304 / 0°18'14"E
OS Eastings: 558980
OS Northings: 213344
OS Grid: TL589133
Mapcode National: GBR MFW.CNL
Mapcode Global: VHHMB.732X
Entry Name: Leaden Roding Hall
Listing Date: 7 February 1952
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1141256
English Heritage Legacy ID: 352782
Location: Leaden Roding, Uttlesford, Essex, CM6
Civil Parish: Leaden Roding
Traditional County: Essex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Essex
Church of England Parish: The South Rodings
Church of England Diocese: Chelmsford
TL 51 SE LEADEN RODING
5/25 Leaden Roding Hall
Manor house, c.1400, and adjacent house, early C16, together forming a 'Unit
System' group, altered in C16, C19 and C20, now occupied as 3 tenements. Timber
framed, plastered, roofs tiled. The earlier building is a hall house, with
storeyed parlour/solar end to north, 2-bay hall, and 3-bay service crosswing
to south. Built corner to corner with it is a 2-bay 2-storey. house aligned
east-west probably for occupation by another generation of the same family
forming separate households working the same land, known as 'The Unit System'.
Chimney stack inserted in south bay of hall, just off the line of the cross-
entry, and floor inserted, late C16. External chimney stack at north end, C19
and internal chimney stack in northeast corner of crosswing, C19. Axial chimney
stack in east-west-building, date unknown. Single storey extension to west
end of it, C19. West elevation of hall house, single storey with attics. 2
storeys in crosswing. Ground floor, 4 C20 casement windows, plain boarded
door to no. 3. Plain door with 2 lights and shallow hood to no. 2. First
floor, 3 C20 casement windows in gabled dormers, one in end of crosswing. Roof
hipped at north. North elevation of east-west block (no. 1) bay window and 2
casement windows at each floor, plain door, all C20. Both houses are fully
plastered and ceiled, revealing hardly any evidence of the timber frames. The
roof of the hall is of crownpost construction, complete except for rafters
severed for inserted chimney, all heavily smoke-blackened. Octagonal central
crownpost with step stops, 4 arched braces of which one is severed. Collars
lap-jointed to rafters and secured with nailhead pegs. Roof of crosswing also
of crownpost construction, plain crownposts with 4 arched braces. Roof of
east-west block of crownpost construction, with plain crownpost and axial
braces only. Roof timbers appear to bear traces of original red paint.
Moated site. This group is of exceptional interest historically, as at this
date (January 1983) only one other manorial 'Unit System' group is known in
Essex, and that much altered. (K.L. Sandall: The Unit System in Essex,
Archaeological Journal 132 (1975) 195-201). Both buildings retain their
original timber structure, but at present visible only at roof level. Cellar
reported below northwest corner of hall, not accessible. The original panelling
and four-centred doorhead reported by the RCHM(2) are not present or visible.
The house was reported in poor condition then, but what is visible of the
original structure now is in excellent condition.
Listing NGR: TL5898013344
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings