History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Parish Church of All Saints

A Grade II* Listed Building in High Roothing, Essex

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.8247 / 51°49'28"N

Longitude: 0.3085 / 0°18'30"E

OS Eastings: 559186

OS Northings: 216523

OS Grid: TL591165

Mapcode National: GBR NGV.DV6

Mapcode Global: VHHM4.9DFK

Entry Name: Parish Church of All Saints

Listing Date: 20 February 1967

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1141272

English Heritage Legacy ID: 352720

Location: High Roothing, Uttlesford, Essex, CM6

County: Essex

District: Uttlesford

Civil Parish: High Roothing

Traditional County: Essex

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Essex

Church of England Parish: High Roding All Saints

Church of England Diocese: Chelmsford

Find accommodation in
Good Easter

Listing Text

TL 51 NE HIGH RODING Parish Church of All
Saints.
2/62
20.2.67

GV II*

Chancel and nave C13, south porch C14. Restored, east and west walls, rebuilt bell-
cote and north vestry added in C19. Flint rubble with dressings of clunch and some
freestone. Roof tiled, vestry slated. The chancel (9.4 x 5.7 metres) has a C19
east window and wall. In the north wall is a C13 lancet window with wrought iron
glazing bars and some old plain glass, with a C19 external head. In the south wall
are 2 windows, the eastern C19, the western late C14 with one cinquefoiled ogee
light in a square head; between them is a C19 doorway. The late C14 chancel-arch
is 2-centred, chamfered and moulded; the responds have each 3 attached shafts with
moulded capitals and bases. The nave (15 x 7 metres) has in the north wall 3
windows; the easternmost is late C14, of 2 cinquefoiled lights with tracery in a
2-centred head, with one wrought iron casement and some old glass, mostly plain.
The 2 western windows are C13 lancets; of these, the eastern has an original rear
splay and segmental arch, with minor restoration. The other lancet is unrestored
inside, but the inner splay has a round arch, wholly restored, with wrought iron
glazing bars and some old plain glass. One quarry, behind a bar, is inscribed
'William Crow Glazier from High Easter July 10 1832 Aged 28 years'. Between these
2 windows is the north doorway, C13 with jambs and 2-centred arch of 2 chamfered
orders with restored moulded imposts and a moulded and billeted label. The door
leaf is restored, with rear saltire bracing, and C13 ironwork. In the south wall
are 3 windows, the easternmost and westernmost each of 3 cinquefoiled ogee lights
in a segmental head, late C14. The middle window is C15, partly restored, of 2
cinquefoiled lights under a segmental-pointed head. Between the 2 western windows
is the south doorway with moulded jambs, 2-centred arch and label. The door leaf
is framed and battened, the planks held in V-grooves in the styles and durns, C13,
with C13 ironwork (Hewett 1982, pp 83-4). The west wall is rebuilt, with C19 window
and bell-cote. The south porch is late C14 and has an outer doorway with moulded
jambs, 2-centred arch and label, all much restored. In each side wall of the porch
is a window of 2 cinquefoiled ogee lights with tracery under a square head. The
chancel roof has moulded wallplates and tiebeam (bowtell in great casement repeated)
with arched braces, and is of 7 cants, C15. The roof of the nave is in 4 bays, with
a long bay at the west end, where there are 5 replaced rafter couples, indicating
the position of a former bell turret. The 3 arch-braced tiebeams and the 7-canted
roof are similar to those in the chancel except that there is an additional high
collar on each rafter couple, C15. There is a piscina with 2-centred head and 2
round drains, C13. In the chancel there are brasses (1) to John Joceline, 1603,
inscription only, and (2) to Edward Jocelynn, 1627, and Mary (Lambe) his wife, with
one inscription and a shield of arms. The brass recorded by the RCHM to Christopher
Jocelin, 1605, is missing. The font has an octagonal bowl with a quatrefoil
enclosing a shield on each face and a moulded underside, panelled stem and moulded
base, early Cl5. The pulpit is octagonal, sides panelled with cinquefoiled and
traceried heads, moulded angle-posts, c.1500, with a door of panelling, c.1600 and
a modern stem.


Listing NGR: TL5918616523

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.