This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.8043 / 51°48'15"N
Longitude: 0.3131 / 0°18'47"E
OS Eastings: 559576
OS Northings: 214275
OS Grid: TL595142
Mapcode National: GBR NH1.V9C
Mapcode Global: VHHM4.CXW5
Entry Name: Judds Cottage
Listing Date: 17 October 1983
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1141300
English Heritage Legacy ID: 352634
Location: Aythorpe Roding, Uttlesford, Essex, CM6
Civil Parish: Aythorpe Roding
Traditional County: Essex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Essex
Church of England Parish: Aythorpe Roding St Mary the Virgin
Church of England Diocese: Chelmsford
TL 51 SE AYTHORPE RODING KEERES GREEN
5/13 JUDDS COTTAGE
Small hall house, early C14, altered circa 1600 and in C20. Timber-framed,
plastered, roof thatched. 4 bays, with integral parlour/solar end to S,
twin service rooms to N, 2-bay hall. Chimney stack of one hearth inserted
in N bay of hall, circa 1600, with back to cross-entry. Floor inserted in hall,
circa 1600. E elevation, 3 C20 casement windows, door with small glass pane.
C20 casement window in gabled dormer. Roof half-hipped to S, hipped to N.
The front and rear doors are still on the line of the original cross-entry.
Framing exposed internally. One 2-centred service doorhead present, raised
above original height owing to sinking of footings or rise of ground level
over 6½ centuries. Original solar floor raised for same reason, confirmed
by evidence of removed unglazed windows, all low in the walls. Curved tension
bracing trenched to outside of studs. Jowled wallposts, cambered central
tiebeam, crownpost roof almost complete, Original rafters, collars and battens,
all heavily smoke-blackened, thatch renewed. Central crownpost of octagonal
section with scroll-moulded cap and moulded base clasping tiebeam.
Originally with 4 upper braces, of which only one axial brace is missing.
Lateral braces are lap-jointed to rafters in same housings as collars, an early
feature. All collars lap-jointed to rafters with nail-headed pegs, some
pegged to collar-purlin. Curved rising braces to king stud at N end of hall.
This building is in an exceptionally unchanged condition. It is comparable
with Bridge House, Fyfield, (Hewett 1973, pp. 174-5) but more of it has
survived. The S wall of the solar has been altered at an early date, probably
C16 or earlier, substituting widely spaced diamond mullions for the wall
studs, presumably to obtain a high level of daylight for some craft operation
conducted there, for the mullions extend almost to floor level. Minor
alterations to brickwork of hearth, from 1973.
Listing NGR: TL5957614275
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings