This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 50.3248 / 50°19'29"N
Longitude: -5.0773 / 5°4'38"W
OS Eastings: 181055
OS Northings: 51733
OS Grid: SW810517
Mapcode National: GBR ZD.GMGL
Mapcode Global: FRA 0875.RRM
Entry Name: Zelah Chapel, and Forecourt
Listing Date: 16 November 1988
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1141472
English Heritage Legacy ID: 63914
Location: St. Allen, Cornwall, TR4
Civil Parish: St. Allen
Traditional County: Cornwall
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cornwall
Church of England Parish: Kenwyn with St Allen
Church of England Diocese: Truro
ST ALLEN A30. ZELAH
SW 85 SW
4/75 Zelah Chapel, and forecourt
Methodist chapel and schoolroom. Chapel 1859. Killas stone with granite
dressings, brick arches to openings.
Plan: Chapel near square, with entrance on north, and narrower
rectangular Sunday school added central to south face, having entrance
Front has pair of 6-panelled doors with fanlight, and 9-in brick arch with
a raised keystone bearing the date. Two round-headed windows above to
balcony level, also with stone keys, and margin glazed sashes. Side
windows similar 30-paned sashes with stained glass fanlights. Roof
Schoolroom added 1868, pebbledashed, with slate roof. Two bays. Central
pair boarded doors with datestone over, and two 24-paned sashes, Small
gable stack and lean-to gig-shed at south end.
Forecourt of chapel of semicircular form, killas walls approx 1.5m high
with peaked coping. Monolithic granite gatepiers holding simple bar-iron
overthrow, the lantern missing. Gate has scrolled ornamental crest.
Path from gate to chapel door is of patterned yellow clayware pavoirs.
Interior: Walls plastered. Flat ceiling with moulded cornice and 4 roses
for pendant lights. North gallery of stained pine on single central
column, the front panelled and having moulded rails, all on paired
brackets. Dog leg stair with turned newels and balusters. Body of
chapel has central pulpit raised over 6 steps, panelled front. Openwork
iron panels either side to raised choir stalls, and rail around communion
table enclosure on iron stanchions. Organ inserted to left of pulpit
later, and pews of aisle turned at right angles and tiered.
Monument: White marble tablet on black slate commemoratinq 5 dead of
1914-18 war. Schoolroom has raised staging with front boards folding on
Listing NGR: SW8105551733
Other nearby listed buildings