History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Tregassow House

A Grade II Listed Building in St. Erme, Cornwall

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »


Latitude: 50.3023 / 50°18'8"N

Longitude: -5.0136 / 5°0'48"W

OS Eastings: 185489

OS Northings: 49046

OS Grid: SW854490

Mapcode National: GBR ZJ.H081

Mapcode Global: FRA 08D7.DM0

Entry Name: Tregassow House

Listing Date: 28 February 1952

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1141477

English Heritage Legacy ID: 63924

Location: St. Erme, Cornwall, TR4

County: Cornwall

Civil Parish: St. Erme

Traditional County: Cornwall

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cornwall

Church of England Parish: St Erme

Church of England Diocese: Truro

Find accommodation in

Listing Text

SW 84 NW
8/85 Tregassow House

-- II

Farmhouse. Late C17. Said to be 1692, incorporating remains of C16 build.
Coursed killas ashlar with slate roof. Added wing of 1973 pebbledashed
with tile roof.
Plan: Central entrance to wide hall, parlour on right, drawing room on
left. Living kitchen at lower ground floor in rear wing on right. Narrow
rear range with stair in projection opposite front entrance. Two storeys
with basement on right. Central wide 6-panelled door in heavy frame.
Dentilled pediment on consoles. Twelve-paned sash windows in boxes set to
front of openings, and with much crown glass. Radial stone lintels.
Moulded plinth and eaves. West gable has tripartite sashes with chamfered
timber lintels. Two-light timber windows in half-hipped gable over
lean-to stair roof.
Interior: Good stair of late C17-early C18. Some panelling. Timber fire
surround to drawing room fireplace on rear wall. Living kitchen has very
large open fireplace with moulded surround and cloam oven. Remains of
Cornish range built in to left.
Site said to be occupied by John Tregassow in c.1320. The present
house was built by Thomas Coke, from monies gained by a 'parsimonious and
inferior practice of the law', son of John Coke of Trerice (St Allen), who
illegitimately smelted tin at the Godolphin blowing house. It was planned
to have two rear wings, which were not built.
(Polsoe, J. 'Lake's Parochial History of the County of Cornwall' I 344-5)

Listing NGR: SW8548949046

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.

Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.