This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 50.3159 / 50°18'57"N
Longitude: -5.1046 / 5°6'16"W
OS Eastings: 179070
OS Northings: 50822
OS Grid: SW790508
Mapcode National: GBR ZC.568V
Mapcode Global: FRA 0866.F4D
Entry Name: Batters Engine House
Listing Date: 31 October 1988
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1141578
English Heritage Legacy ID: 63675
Location: Perranzabuloe, Cornwall, TR4
Civil Parish: Perranzabuloe
Traditional County: Cornwall
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cornwall
Church of England Parish: Perranzabuloe
Church of England Diocese: Truro
SW 75 SE
5/33 Batters Engine House
Pumping beam engine house for former lead mine, part of West Chiverton Mine. Circa
1868-9. Killas rubble and granite dressings. Brick arches with granite keyblocks
over the openings, brick to upper part of chimney.
Plan: Rectangular plan engine house with round chimney engaging middle of rear wall
and cataract pit at the front. No surviving wooden floors or roof structure.
Originally fitted with an 80" engine built by Harveys of Hayle later fitted to
Exterior: 3 storeys. Unaltered elevations with round arches over the openings.
Front (bob) wall has central doorway. Rear gable end wall has central round stack
(an unusual feature). Right-hand (nearside) wall has large central cylinder doorway
(usually sited to the middle of the rear wall) flanked by 2 smaller. doorways, 2-
first-floor window openings and 1 central second floor window openings.
Left-hand (nearside) wall has 2 small basement openings, a doorway on the right and
is identical to opposite wall above this level.
Interior: See plan.
Source: Historical notes provided by A. Barrett, Wheal Leisure, Perranporth.
Listing NGR: SW7907050822
Other nearby listed buildings