This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 50.3189 / 50°19'7"N
Longitude: -5.0962 / 5°5'46"W
OS Eastings: 179685
OS Northings: 51132
OS Grid: SW796511
Mapcode National: GBR ZC.52HG
Mapcode Global: FRA 0866.4DX
Entry Name: Chyverton House
Listing Date: 28 February 1952
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1141551
English Heritage Legacy ID: 63700
Location: Perranzabuloe, Cornwall, TR4
Civil Parish: Perranzabuloe
Traditional County: Cornwall
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cornwall
Church of England Parish: Perranzabuloe
Church of England Diocese: Truro
SW 75 SE
5/60 Chyverton House
Country house. Circa early-mid C18, extended circa 1770s for John Thomas. Brick
laid to Flemish bond at the front, killas rubble at the rear. Pentewen stone
dressings. Dry Delabole slate roofs: hipped roof over house, with brick stacks over
rear walls of front rooms; pyramidal roofs over pavilions with central brick stacks.
Wooden modillioned cornices except for the pavilions which have moulded cornices and
the C19 additions which have stone moulded cornices under parapets.
Plan: Originally an almost square double-depth house with 2 equal sized front rooms,
extended circa 1770s with 2 pavilions set back and with their fronts linked to rear
wall of house by high screen walls. At some time a wing was added in front of the
left-hand screen wall linking the house to the left-hand pavilion and in circa 1832-
1850 the plan of the original house was altered and a 1-bay single storey wing was
added on the left. At the same time the interior features were replaced with C19
features in classical style.
Exterior: 2 storeys over basement plus attics. Elevations virtually unaltered.
original house has 1:3: 1-bay north-east front with central bays broken forward and
surmounted by a triangular pediment with central lunette. Original central doorway
fitted with window in the C19. Ashlar plinth, rusticated quoins. Circa early-mid
C19 12-pane hornless sashes to this front and similar windows to other elevations.
Pavilion set back at either side. Each pavilion has symmetrical 3-window south east
brick front with central ground floor window within a recessed round arch. Ashlar
plinth and rusticated quoins. Left and right elevations and rear elevations are of
dressed coursed stone, otherwise similar to the south east fronts (central rear
windows not recessed). Left-hand wall of left-hand pavilion has blind windows except
for window at first-floor left.
Rear of original house is a symmetrical 4-window stone front with central circa
early-mid C19 porch with central round headed doorway flanked by round-headed
windows, 6-panel door with fanlight over. Linking the rear of the house with
pavilion on its left is a C20 addition in similar style and on the right is an old
hipped-roofed link building.
Interior: largely remodelled between circa 1832 and 1850. Large stair hall has
open-well stair with open string and cast-iron balustrade. 3-bay Tuscan colonnade
between stair hall and axial passage. Surviving C18 features include an iron
fireplace in the left-hand front room (much admired by Sir John Betjeman when he
visited according to present owners Mr and Mrs Holman) and a marble chimney-piece in
the front right-hand room. In the left-hand pavilion are some original C18
features including the original stair. Good quality circa early C18 oak-panelling in
the left-hand room of the pavilion was fitted to Chyverton in the C18 and came from
Harlyn House, St Merryn parish (qv). Other pavilion not inspected. The house has
good quality neo-classical wall and ceiling plasterwork in all of the rooms
Source: Historical information provided by Mr and Mrs Nigel Holman.
Listing NGR: SW7968551132
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings