This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 50.2432 / 50°14'35"N
Longitude: -5.0723 / 5°4'20"W
OS Eastings: 181036
OS Northings: 42648
OS Grid: SW810426
Mapcode National: GBR ZD.MW7T
Mapcode Global: FRA 088D.1QG
Entry Name: 2 Chest Tombs and Headstone at Approx 5m East of All Hallows Church of Saint Kea
Listing Date: 12 March 1986
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1141652
English Heritage Legacy ID: 63443
Location: Kea, Cornwall, TR3
Civil Parish: Kea
Traditional County: Cornwall
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cornwall
Church of England Parish: St Kea
Church of England Diocese: Truro
SW 84 SW KEA KEA
2/159 2 chest tombs and headstone at
approx 5m east of All Hallows
Church of Saint Kea
2 chest tombs and headstone. West chest tomb. 1836, to Mary Giddy and John her
brother, by Edgcombe; east chest tomb, 1849 to Mary Jenkins and headstone, 1813 to
James Treloar and Alice his wife.
Chest tombs are rectangular-on-plan with outer plinths for railings(removed). Outer
plinths are granite, originally surmounted by iron railings and chests are of brick
stretchers with slate lids.
West chest has incised lid inscription to Mary Giddy, 1858-1822 also John her
East chest has incised lid inscription to Mary Jenkins, d, 1849 aged 61.
Headstone, of slate with concave corners is nowy-headed with incised inscription to
James Treloar d. 1813 aged 63 and Alice his wife d, 1813 aged 62.
The present church, of 1896, replaces a church of 1802 designed by James Wyatt, and
the churchyard dates from then. Very few tomb monuments survive at the earlier
church at Old Kea; so the earlier C19 churchyard monuments in this churchyard, though
modest architecturally, are historically important for this parish.
Listing NGR: SW8103642648
Other nearby listed buildings