History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

The Vicarage

A Grade II Listed Building in Manaccan, Cornwall

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 50.0832 / 50°4'59"N

Longitude: -5.1263 / 5°7'34"W

OS Eastings: 176443

OS Northings: 25021

OS Grid: SW764250

Mapcode National: GBR ZB.9SP8

Mapcode Global: FRA 084S.QP5

Entry Name: The Vicarage

Listing Date: 22 June 1987

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1141711

English Heritage Legacy ID: 65261

Location: Manaccan, Cornwall, TR12

County: Cornwall

Civil Parish: Manaccan

Traditional County: Cornwall

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cornwall

Church of England Parish: Manaccan

Church of England Diocese: Truro

Find accommodation in
Manaccan

Listing Text

SW 72 NE MANACCAN MANACCAN

2/98 The Vicarage
-

GV II

Vicarage. C18 with probably earlier core, remodelled circa early and later C19.
Shale rubble and cob walls, partly slate-hung to south east side, slate sills, wooden lintels. Scantle slate roofs with gable ends. Brick chimneys over some gable ends and over 1 cross wall.
Irregular evolved plan: circa mid C18 front south west range with 2 equal size
reception rooms flanking central cross passage, shallow service room under integral outshut behind left-hand room and stair behind right-hand room linked to probably original range at right angles, heightened in C18 and retained as service wing, then another service range added parallel to an adjoining rear outshut, then extended to left and finally at right angles to rear left.
2 storeys. Symmetrical 3-window south west front with central doorway. Original
hornless 16-pane sashes to first floor and circa early C20 French windows to ground floor. Chamfered and stopped wooden lintels. Slightly projecting boxed eaves. South east front has barred window to the coal cellar under the stair.
Interior partly inspected: some good quality C18 detail survives, including: stairs with column turned balusters; some field panelling, completely panelled to left hand room with moulded wooden cornice, and 2-panel doors, some with HL hinges.
This vicarage was the home of Richard Polwhele, historian, writer and poet, when
Rector between 1794 and 1821. Polwhele was also Justice of the Peace and when
Captain Bligh was mistakenly arrested for spying while carrying out survey work on the Helford River, Polwhele had him put in the village lock up, a small room in the vicarage. However they later became friends. (church guide).


Listing NGR: SW7644325020

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.