This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 50.0868 / 50°5'12"N
Longitude: -5.1418 / 5°8'30"W
OS Eastings: 175347
OS Northings: 25469
OS Grid: SW753254
Mapcode National: GBR Z8.ZNGP
Mapcode Global: FRA 083S.BML
Entry Name: Kestle Barton Farmhouse and Kestle Cottage, Including Adjoining Garden Walls
Listing Date: 10 July 1957
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1141732
English Heritage Legacy ID: 65211
Location: Manaccan, Cornwall, TR12
Civil Parish: Manaccan
Traditional County: Cornwall
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cornwall
Church of England Parish: Manaccan
Church of England Diocese: Truro
SW 7525 MANACCAN
7/53 Kestle Barton Farmhouse and Kestle
10.7.57 Cottage, including adjoining garden
Farmhouse, now 2 houses and garden walls adjoining east and south fronts. C17
or earlier, remodelled probably 1722 and 1744 (dates on east front and south end). Shale rubble with some dressed granite jambstones, slate sills, wooden lintels. Steep scantle slate roofs. West range has hipped end, left (south)
and axial rubble stack towards left, brick lateral chimney over rear wall and brick chimney over right-hand (north) gable end. North range has external
lateral gabled rubble stack with brick shaft, rear, and brick chimney over
gable end, right. Plan of overall L-shape consisting of 2 adjoining C17 or earlier ranges, each with 3 or 4 rooms, but now difficult since C18 and later remodelling to determine which is the earlier range. Evidence that there was
a further range to the front right of north range forming a U shape.
Projection at rear right of north range, probably stair turret, now blocked. Later lean-tos at rear of left hand (west) range. 2 storeys. West range:
overall 4-window east front. Irregularly sized and disposed window openings
with mostly circa late C18 and early C19 2-light casements or sashes
with glazing bars. 4 doorways. A low doorway to unlit cellar left (blocked openings to rear) with garden wall adjoining at right, flight of granite steps extending beyond corner at left and former loading door, now with window over; C17 granite doorway with chamfered frame (blocked) to right of garden wall;
then window with doorway almost adjoining, possibly in large hall window position; plaster coat of arms with 3 castles and date 1744 over door; 4-
centred arched granite doorway with chamfered frame a little to the right and window at far right towards angle where west and north ranges join. The right-hand window seems a more likely hall window position but the window opening
over the datestone is inserted or enlarged, possibly in formerly unpierced
wall as would be expected with an open hall. North range: regular 3-window
south front. Square first floor window openings with circa late C18, 12-pane
2-light horizontal sliding sashes. Wide window opening withcirca late C18 3-
light casement below left of middle window. Doorway under left-hand window
with ledged door and lean-to slate roofed porch incorporating 2 staddle stone
shafts as pillars to front of side walls. Ground floor right-hand window, deepened C20 and fitted with pair of glazed doors. Evidence for rebuilt
corner at right where former wing adjoined and blocked doorway within.
Granite jambstones and quoins of this front are of the C18 remodelling. Some reused fragments including inverted datestone with W W 1721 as quoin in south
west corner and head or sill of mullioned window high up in north wall.
Interior is little altered since the C18 with many features of this period including stairs with heavy column turned stair balustrade near angle, dado panelling to north west room, some 2-panel doors, some fireplace surrounds
and pegged lapped collar pine roof structure. 2 large fireplaces in north
range, those in west range partly blocked. Surviving from the C17 is ceiling
of room (now pantry adjoining left of hall/living-room) with chamfered and stopped cross beams. Possibly more early features hidden. Rubble garden walls have hogs back dressed granite copings. Said by the present occupier of Kestle Barton Farmhouse, Mr Line, that the house is recorded as having been rebuilt circa 1550. Formerly the home of the Kestle or Kestell Family whose coat of
arms was 3 castles. A rare early house in this part of Cornwall and remarkably unaltered since the C18.
Listing NGR: SW7534725469
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings