This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 50.7664 / 50°45'58"N
Longitude: -4.5509 / 4°33'3"W
OS Eastings: 220206
OS Northings: 99411
OS Grid: SX202994
Mapcode National: GBR NB.10TG
Mapcode Global: FRA 17C2.0VK
Entry Name: The Guildhouse
Listing Date: 29 September 1961
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1141793
English Heritage Legacy ID: 64948
Location: Poundstock, Cornwall, EX23
Civil Parish: Poundstock
Traditional County: Cornwall
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cornwall
Church of England Parish: Poundstock
Church of England Diocese: Truro
SX 29 NW POUNDSTOCK POUNDSTOCK
10/148 The Guildhouse
Guildhouse. C15 origins. Circa early C16 remodelling, restoration of 1919 by E H
Sedding. Stone rubble to first floor level, whitewashed plastered cob above, slate
roof gabled at north and south ends, axial brick chimney. Original plan of 10 bay
open hall. Stack and first floor inserted probably early C16. First floor
entrance from churchyard at north gable end, 2 ground floor entrances on west side
via a walled approach with stone coping. 2 storeys. Buttresses with weatherings,
3 to west side, 2 to east side. Timber 4-light mullioned windows throughout look
early C16 in form, mostly repaired 1919. Ground floor windows have chamfered
lintels and sills, 4 round-headed lights with ogee chamfers and moulded mullions.
King and outer mullions have small hollow chamfers and a bead moulding, subsidiary
mullions have small hollow chamfers. Leaded panes. Southernmost window on east
side unrestored. First floor windows similar in form irregularly arranged and
slightly smaller with roll mouldings. 4 window west front has 2 probably 1919
plank entrance doors with older frames under wider timber lintels. Blocked opening
with timber frame to ground floor left; 4 ground floor windows, 4 first floor
windows. Lead guttering and down pipes may be C18. North gable end has first
floor C16 timber doorframe with slightly cambered head under a timber lintel. Bead
moulding on lintel and jambs. On either side of the door is a small 2-light C16
timber mullioned window with ogee-headed chamfers. Left-hand window looks
original. Right-hand window under heavy timber lintel.
Interior: 11 C15 trusses with principals with curved feet resting on wall plate.
Slightly cambered collars mortised into principals, 3 tiers of threaded purlins,
principals mortised at apex, diagonally-set ridge. Some replacement of roof
timbers but smoke-blackening on originals seems to be throughout. Partition wall
at stack, but room otherwise undivided. C20 fireplace to south side of stack. East
side wall plate original. No stair to ground floor. Ground floor interior not
inspected but large cross beams are supported on engaged brick piers.
In the Churchwardens' Accounts the building is described as the "Parish Alms
House", the "Church House" and the "Poor House". In 1811 it was inhabited by 8
paupers. In 1858 the first floor was used as a schoolroom and the ground floor was
use as a sexton's room and stables with a reference to a stone staircase.
Outstanding survival of a medieval guildhouse. J G Edwards, The Story of
Poundstock Church and Parish (Poundstock, 1979)
Listing NGR: SX2020699405
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings