History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Anderton and Barn Adjoining at West

A Grade II* Listed Building in Launcells, Cornwall

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 50.8256 / 50°49'32"N

Longitude: -4.4473 / 4°26'50"W

OS Eastings: 227731

OS Northings: 105746

OS Grid: SS277057

Mapcode National: GBR K6.X963

Mapcode Global: FRA 16KX.K6M

Entry Name: Anderton and Barn Adjoining at West

Listing Date: 29 September 1961

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1141830

English Heritage Legacy ID: 64840

Location: Launcells, Cornwall, EX22

County: Cornwall

Civil Parish: Launcells

Traditional County: Cornwall

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cornwall

Church of England Parish: Launcells

Church of England Diocese: Truro

Find accommodation in
Pancrasweek

Listing Text

SS 20 NE LAUNCELLS

6/29 Anderton and Barn
29.9.61 adjoining at west

- II*

Farmhouse and barn. C15 origins, C17 alterations. Dressed freestone and
granite, some cob to the rear, slate roofs, scantle slate to left; left gable end
projecting dressed freestone stack, brick chimneys in ridge. C15 4-bay solar to
left of through passage, evidence of C17 remodelling with 3 room and through
passage plan, roof of higher end of range raised late C17. Rear right cob outshut
under catslide roof forms L plan. North-facing 2-storey front with off centre
porch formed from 2 slates over slight recess at junction between higher and lower
end. Fine ovolo-moulded doorframe with urn stops, elaborate front door with
geometric decoration formed by incised lines between studs. Range to left of door
has 1636 datestone. Windows: ground floor left has two 3-light granite mullioned
windows with hoodmoulds and label stops, window to far left retains casements.
Ground floor right of higher range has 2-light mullioned window with high transom.
Each light below transom has 12 panes, some glazing bars above transom missing,
timber lintel. 3 irregularly-spaced first floor windows: each 2-light, with high
transom and 3 panes per light below the transom. Timber sash above porch with 6
panes to upper sash, 9 panes to lower sash. To right of porch the roofline is
lower, the front rendered above first floor sill level, evidence that roof has been
raised. Ground floor window 3-light timber casement, 3 panes per light. Further
blocked opening to ground floor right. First floor window 2-light timber casement,
8 panes per light. Slate roof of lower end painted with bitumen.
Through passage has slate floor, heavily moulded cross beam to right, and
roll-moulded axial beams. Timber doorway with 4-centred arch and foliage carved in
the spandrels leads into ground floor room right, which has massive blocked
fireplace with 2 cloam ovens. Rooms to left of passage divided up in C20. C20
fireplace to left gable end stack possibly conceals earlier fireplace. Remains of
moulded plaster cornice to rear of ground floor rooms left. Roof to right of
through passage replaced C20, and raised. Roof to left retains 4 arched brace
trusses with mouldings. No evidence of smoke-blackening. 1 truss, complete with
collar mortised into principals, moulded braces, and 2 tiers of hollow chamfered
purlins, is at original lower level. Truss to left has lost 1 brace; next truss
to left intact with hollow chamfered wind brace, fourth truss has collar and braces
missing. Roofspace at higher end beyond stack inaccessible at time of resurvey.
Ground floor room left had elaborate plaster ceiling with wreath of fruit and
flowers, ceiling removed 1940s. Anderton was owned by the Anderton family and sold
to Edmund Speccott. Speccot's daughter, Elizabeth, married into the Spoure family
and the house is illustrated in the Spoure Book, compiled 1698. The illustration
shows that the present range and barn projecting forward from the right gable end
were part of an enclosed courtyard. Barn retains opening in east wall shown in
Spoure Book, the illustration also shows cylindrical chimneys to house and formal
walled garden to east. A front lateral stack, now missing, is shown with inserted
mullioned windows indicating an altered plan. The present front wall of the left
hand end may have been moved forward since 1698. The Spoure Book, copy in the
Cornwall County Record Office, F.S.3/93.


Listing NGR: SS2773105746

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.