This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 49.9703 / 49°58'12"N
Longitude: -5.1929 / 5°11'34"W
OS Eastings: 171142
OS Northings: 12672
OS Grid: SW711126
Mapcode National: GBR Z6.L115
Mapcode Global: FRA 0902.GRP
Plus Code: 8CXPXRC4+4R
Entry Name: Church of St Winwalaus
Listing Date: 9 October 1984
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1141920
English Heritage Legacy ID: 64643
Location: Landewednack, Cornwall, TR12
Civil Parish: Landewednack
Built-Up Area: Lizard
Traditional County: Cornwall
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cornwall
Church of England Parish: Landewednack
Church of England Diocese: Truro
LANDEWEDNACK CHURCH COVE
SW 71 SW
9/63 Church of St Winwalaus
Parish church. C11 south entrance, late C13-early C14. South porch, chancel,
south transept and nave. 5 bay north aisle, early C16. Tower rebuilt early C15
with some remains of earlier work. Restored 1860-2 by Rector Vywyan Robinson.
Also restored in 1920s. Vestry C20. Random stone (including serpentine and
granite) with coarsed granite tower, slate roof. Unbuttressed tower in 2 stages
with embattlements and crocheted finials. 2-light bell openings with louvres on
each side. West door blocked with smaller opening inserted. 3-light Perpendicular
west window above. Embattled porch with gabled roof behind. Empty niche over
moulded 2-centred arched entrance. Sexpartite ribbed vault considerably restored.
Ribs with angel corbels and central boss, angel holding a scroll. Holy water stoup
on east wall. South door in porch, Norman arch with chevron decoration on outer
arch and circles in voussoirs of inner, with centre voussoir missing where figure
possibly once projected into arch. Blind tympanum. Entrance partly blocked with
Perpendicular arched doorway inserted c1430s. C19 columns of polished serpentine
with cushion capitals. Original waggon roof to nave, north aisle, south transept
and chancel. Carved wooden bosses and ribs. Hagiscope between south transept and
chancel supported on squat pier of standard Cornish type A (Pevsner). Lancet
window behind (originally two lights and was accessible to those wishing to take
Communion from outside). 3-light Perpendicular tracery in south window on south
transept. East window of south transept C13, 2-lights with trefoil cusped heads
and quatrefoil above (central mullion renewed). East window of chancel,
reticulated tracery, (possibly reused dated from C19 restoration). South window of
chancel blocked until restoration of 1920s. North aisle: 5 bays with plain Cornish
standard arcades, type A (Pevsner) with round arches. 4-light Perpendicular east
window with three 3-light Perpendicular windows in the north wall. Shallow chamber
for organ (site of rood-loft stairs removed in the 1860s restoration). 3-light
Perpendicular window reconstructed behind. 4-centred arch to vestry. C19 glass in
windows to the north west and west of north aisle. Late C13 piscinas in the
south-side of the chancel and south-side of the transept. Font of granite on
octagonal shaft with 4 small C19 syenite shafts. Inscription: "IHC and D RIC
BOLHAM ME FECIT c1404". Pulpit: base dated 1860. In memory of Augusta Baker
Vywyan Robinson and upper part constructed of polished serpentine as with
contemporary lecturn. Attached to west wall in transept, copy of King Charles
letter of thanks to the loyal Cornish 1643. (Note at bottom "H T Coulson Recr Donum
Dedit 1829"). Reading desk constructed of part of carved wooden screen and desk
ends removed from Ruan Major during restoration of 1867. Remainder of furnishings
plain and of late C19. Selection of memorials to Vywyan family (rectors during the
C19 and early C20).
Churchyard: part of churchyard appears circular (lan) with rubble wall surrounding.
Parish visited by plague in 1645 and bodies buried in churchyard. Century later
part of churchyard was opened for internment of shipwrecked mariners. Plague
reappeared and part of churchyard was fenced off (unable to trace position).
Sources: N Pevsner, The Buildings of England, Cornwall, 2nd ed. 1970, rp 1974. H O
Barrat, Landewednack Church pamphlet, 192. W B Mayne, Landewednack, Southernmost
Cornwall. Its Parochial History, 1907.
Listing NGR: SW7114212671
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings