This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 50.1851 / 50°11'6"N
Longitude: -5.1712 / 5°10'16"W
OS Eastings: 173715
OS Northings: 36492
OS Grid: SW737364
Mapcode National: GBR Z7.GDRD
Mapcode Global: FRA 081J.R6X
Entry Name: Tregonning Mill
Listing Date: 17 January 1980
Last Amended: 17 June 1988
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1142052
English Heritage Legacy ID: 66231
Location: Stithians, Cornwall, TR3
Civil Parish: Stithians
Built-Up Area: Stithians
Traditional County: Cornwall
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cornwall
Church of England Parish: Stithians
Church of England Diocese: Truro
SW 73 NW STITHIANS
2/245 Tregonning Mill
(formerly listed asTregonning Mill
with adjoining Cottages)
Miller's houses, mill and adjoining outbuildings. Circa early-mid C19. Granite
rubble walls with granite dressings. Mill and outbuildings have grouted scantle
slate roofs with gable ends, house roofs are replaced with asbestos slate. Brick
chimneys over the gable ends and over party wall of the houses. Left-hand chimney
rises above taller gable of integral mill.
Plan: Double depth plan houses; mill is same depth as houses and at the front
appears to be integral with the house on its right. Outbuildings on the left are
shallower. Mill and part of the adjoining house are probably the oldest building,
slightly later the house plan was probably deepened; a little later another house was
added at the right-hand end and single storey outbuildings were added at the left-
hand end. The mill was probably heightened when the first house was remodelled.
Both houses have 2 rooms at the front flanking central cross passages and have stair
and service rooms at the rear. Breast shot wheel and machinery survive.
Exterior: Mill is 2 storeys plus attic floor; houses are 2 storeys and outbuildings
are single storey. South-east front. Mill has 2 window front with central doorway
with loading doorway over. The front was originally symmetrical but left-hand window
opening was enlarged to create a tall doorway in the C19. Old divided ledged doors
and old windows. First floor left-hand window is a possibly original 12-pane 2-light
casement. Cast-iron ogee guttering under the eaves. There is a corrugated-iron clad
gabled dormer with wooden hoisting boom formerely used to hoist sacks of grain
through a doorway to be emptied into the hoppers built into the attic floor. Houses
have similar symmetrical 3 window fronts with central doorways. Right-hand house has
blocked window over its doorway. This house has an old ledged door and circa late
C19 horned sashes. Other house has similar C20 windows. Outbuildings (probably
stables and waggon sheds) have irregularly disposed window and doorway openings with
some late C19 windows and doors. Mill wheel has iron hub and segments and wooden
spokes and buckets.
Interior: Mill only inspected. The mill has C19 floors, roof structure and
machinery. There are 2 pairs of stones on the first floor. The attic floor has
hoppers at either side of an axial working floor.
This mill was still working until a few years ago and has well preserved machinery.
Listing NGR: SW7371536492
Other nearby listed buildings