This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 50.1117 / 50°6'42"N
Longitude: -5.192 / 5°11'31"W
OS Eastings: 171881
OS Northings: 28393
OS Grid: SW718283
Mapcode National: GBR Z6.9198
Mapcode Global: FRA 080Q.H3D
Entry Name: Carwythenack Farmhouse
Listing Date: 17 June 1988
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1142118
English Heritage Legacy ID: 66101
Location: Gweek, Cornwall, TR11
Civil Parish: Gweek
Traditional County: Cornwall
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cornwall
Church of England Parish: Constantine
Church of England Diocese: Truro
SW 72 NW GWEEK
8/121 Carwythenack Farmhouse
Farmhouse. Circa early C19, probably pre 1820. Rendered shale rubble. Bitumenised
scantle slate roof with gabled ends, with lower eaves at the rear over the outshut.
Rendered gable end stacks and another rendered stack over the right hand side of the
Plan: Double depth integral outshut plan. 2 principal front rooms the right hand
room is larger and both are heated from gable end stacks. Between the 2 rooms there
is an entrance passage leading to a dog-leg staircase at the back in the integral
outshut. The outshut also contains the kitchen with a side stack behind the right
hand room and a smaller dairy or pantry behind the left hand room. In the C20 a
single storey extension was added to the rear right behind the kitchen.
Exterior: 2 storeys. Almost symmetrical 3-window front. Original C19 Gothick 2-
light casements with 2-centred arch lights each with 6-panes per light and
intersecting glazing bars in their heads. Granite window cills. Doorway to left of
centre with original C19 flush panel door with painted arch top light ; the head of
the doorframe is also arched forming spandrel lights on unusual feature.
Rear elevation has an original C19 12-pane sash lighting the staircase to right of
centre ; 2 C19 horizontally sliding sashes to right and C20 concrete block single
storey extension to left.
Interior: Partly inspected,has unaltered plan, much original carpentry and joinery
including dog-leg stair with stick balusters and panelled doors.
In 1820 C.S. Gilbert in his survey of Cornwall describes the since demolished mansion
Carwythenack as "lately much improved and the plantation, walks and waterfalls
considerably enlarged and beautified". Carwythenack farmhouse was probably built as
part of these improvements.
Carwythenack was formerly in Constantine parish before the parish boundaries were
Listing NGR: SW7188128393
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings