This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 50.1439 / 50°8'38"N
Longitude: -5.3045 / 5°18'16"W
OS Eastings: 163995
OS Northings: 32324
OS Grid: SW639323
Mapcode National: GBR FX89.K0J
Mapcode Global: VH12X.0NK1
Entry Name: Engine House at Sw639323, Nancegollan Mine or Florence United Tin Mine
Listing Date: 26 August 1987
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1142187
English Heritage Legacy ID: 65870
Location: Crowan, Cornwall, TR13
Civil Parish: Crowan
Traditional County: Cornwall
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cornwall
Church of England Parish: Crowan
Church of England Diocese: Truro
SW 63 SW CROWAN NACEGOLLAN
4/162 Engine House at Sl#639323,
- Nancegollan Mine or Florence United
Disused beam engine house. Circa mid 1860s. Granite rubble with dressed granite
quoins and jambstones, brick arches, dressed coursed granite, almost ashlar to bob
Rectangular single-cell plan with thicker bob wall (south) overlooking the former
shaft. Machinery, floors, roof structure and framed and weather-boarded 2nd floor
and gable end over the bob wall removed.
2-3 storeys over basement. Tall engine house with original masonry virtually intact
including gable end on the north side. Round-headed window openings. The south bob
wall has wide central basement opening and narrower opening over. Opening to each
floor of the opposite (north) wall and to the 1st floor middle of the left hand
(west) wall. Other smaller openings for beams or machinery are spanned by wooden
Built for 40-inch pumping engine, presumably ceased work in 1873 when the engine was
advertised for sale.
This engine house is a good example and unusually complete.
Sources: Kenneth Brown, council member of the Trevithick Society.
Listing NGR: SW6390032300
Other nearby listed buildings