This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 50.5259 / 50°31'33"N
Longitude: -4.6884 / 4°41'18"W
OS Eastings: 209544
OS Northings: 73015
OS Grid: SX095730
Mapcode National: GBR N4.J7JN
Mapcode Global: FRA 172N.TJ7
Entry Name: Lavethan
Listing Date: 6 June 1969
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1142391
English Heritage Legacy ID: 67299
Location: Blisland, Cornwall, PL30
Civil Parish: Blisland
Traditional County: Cornwall
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cornwall
Church of England Parish: Blisland
Church of England Diocese: Truro
SX 07 SE
House. Circa early to mid C16, probably with earlier origins. Partly remodelled in
early C17, in 1653 (datestone) and in late C17 or early C18. Local stone rubble. Rag
and scantle slate roofs with gable ends. Several early crested ridge tiles on
southern service wing. 2 projecting front lateral stacks on south east elevations and
circa late C16 moulded granite end stacks to west and north wings.
Plan: Main range lies from south west to north east, with ground sloping down to
south west: 'U" shaped plan with rear wings to right and left (north and west);
service range in wing to front left, (south) and second service range to front right
(east) returning to partly enclose fourth side of courtyard infront of south east
elevation of house. The original plan is uncertain and the existing fabric indicates
that Lavethan was a house of considerable size and status. The main range its lower
end to left comprises an ll-bay range; 8 lower end and hall bays (towards the
southwest) have circa early C16 clean roof trusses of high quality; The three higher
end bays on the northeast appear to have been replaced in the late C17 and correspond
with a straight joint in the southeast elevation, suggesting a partial rebuilding.
The rear left hand wing on west has a circa C17 roof although there are two large
blocked mullion and transom windows which extend from ground to first floor. The rear
wing on right (north) has a late C17 roof but a circa late C16 granite moulded end
stack. The front service wing on left has been partly rebuilt in the C18 and C19 and
the front right hand wing was only partly accessible but appears probably C17 in
origin. It would therefore appear that the earlier house comprises the left hand
(south west) and central part of the main range and the rear left hand wing. The
right hand (north east) end of the main range and the rear right hand wing may be
contemporary although the existing fabric appears to indicate a later rebuilding. The
front service wings were probably rebuilt earlier range, probably reusing earlier'
material. In circa early C17, a two storey porch was added on the front (south east)
elevation. In circa late C17 or early C18 the house was reorientated to face north
west, the rear elevation was remodelled and fenestrated forming a new front with 12-
pane sashes with thick glazing bars and the interior was remodelled with fine
panelling and stair. The datestone of 1653 on the north west elevation may refer to
intermediate alterations as stylistically the panelling and the remodelling appear
later. The arrangement of the C16 house is unclear; the 8 trusses in the main range
are of fine quality but appear clean and the lofty height of the roof suggests that
this range may have either comprised a first floor hall or some other form of
principal room on the first floor. However, the fine C18 joinery conceals much of
the earlier stucture. In the circa early C17 the house appears to have had a main
range of 3-room and through passage plan with a 2-storey porch, the room on the lower
left hand (south west) side heated by a front lateral stack, the hall to right heated
by a front lateral stack and inner room beyond. The two wings to rear were heated by
end stacks and the courtyard service range was probably situated on the front (south
east). The late C17 or early C18 remodelling included the re-orientation of the
house, the panelling of the ground and first floor principal rooms and bed chambers
and the partial division of the inner room to form a stair hall with an impressive
open well stair.
Exterior: 2 storeys, cellar and attic. North west elevation with a regular 3:4 window
front remodelled in early C18.and with C18 modillion cornice has two wings to front
right and left and central range. Door to right of centre with multiple moulded 2-
centred arch and datestone above 1653. Two early C18 sashes to left and sash to
right. First floor with four 12-pane sashes, three of early C18 with thick glazing
bars. Two large blocked mullion and transom windows are visible in the side wall of
the right hand wing, extending from ground to first floor. South east elevation has
an asymmetrical 4-window front and is of two storeys with a cellar and attic. Two
storey porch to left of centre with a depressed chamfered 4-centred arch and 2-light
mullion window above, the mullion removed. The left hand side is partly obscured by
the service wing which extends to front: Large projecting front lateral stack and
late C19 12-pane sash on first floor. To left there is a straight joint in line with
the projection of the front lateral hall stack. C18 door to right with fanlight and
tall C18 and C19 18-pane sashes with C18 sash boxes on first floor.
Interior: Wide through passage. Roll has a circa late C19 chimney piece.
The floor joists above have been altered, possibly in the C18, to resemble
intersecting ceiling beams, chamfered and stopped. The inner room was partitioned in
the C18 and a fine early C18 stair inserted; open string and deep moulded rail,
ramped and wreathed with turned fluted balusters and a dado rail on the opposite
wall. Coved ceiling above. The room on the lower side of the passage was partly
remodelled and has C19 joinery detailing and the west wing beyond retains a late C17
bolection moulded door frame. The blocked granite fireplace in the gable end wall is
according to the owners of a considerable size. The first floor retains much of its
circa late C17 and early C18 bolection moulded and raised and fielded panelling with
coved plaster ceilings intact.
Roof structure: Main range has an 11 bay roof with a possibly original closed truss
above the lower side of the passage. The circa early C16 principals are morticed at
the apices and the curved feet appear to rest on a timber wall plate. The morticed
have straight tops and deeply cranked stopped and chamfered soffits like arch
bracing. Two tiers of threaded purlins which are chamfered with diagonal stops. The
roof on the north east is circa later C17 with heavy principals and collars, halved,
lap-jointed and pegged. Above the west wing the six circa C17 trusses are much
slighter; the principals are halved, lap-jointed and pegged and the collars are
chamfered and have a pronounced crank.
Lavethan was marked as the residence of Humphrey Kemp, by Norden in circa 1584.
Norden Speculi Britanniae Pars; A Topographical and Historical Description of
Cornwall. 1728, reprinted 1966.
Listing NGR: SX0954473015
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings