This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 50.1936 / 50°11'37"N
Longitude: -5.293 / 5°17'34"W
OS Eastings: 165059
OS Northings: 37814
OS Grid: SW650378
Mapcode National: GBR FX95.J7V
Mapcode Global: VH12Q.6DMD
Entry Name: Church of St John the Evangelist with attached churchyard wall and gateway
Listing Date: 12 September 1989
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1142640
English Heritage Legacy ID: 66641
Location: Camborne, Cornwall, TR14
Civil Parish: Camborne
Traditional County: Cornwall
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cornwall
Church of England Parish: Treslothan
Church of England Diocese: Truro
SW 63 NE
Church of St John the Evangelist with attached churchyard wall and gateway
Church. 1840-1842, by George Wightwick of Plymouth, for E.W.W.Pendarves; restored 1880; altered 1899. Snecked red killas rubble with granite ashlar dressings, slate roof. Nave with south porch, chancel, added north transept and vestry.
Early English style, with chamfered lancet windows. The six bay nave has clasping pilasters to the corners, lesenes, and one tall window in each bay except the first on the south side, which has a gabled porch with two bay colonnaded side entrance protecting a two-centred arched doorway; stone gutters on square corbels; roof with coped gables; stepped triple lancet west window, and gable bellcote. The small one bay chancel has clasping pilasters and a stepped triple-lancet window, a coped gable with large apex cross, a very small chapel in the south angle with a small lancet in its east wall and a monopitched roof, and a gabled vestry added on its north side and coupled with the transept, the windows in the gables of these with hoodmoulds.
Interior: wagon roof with large queen-post roof trusses which are supported on corbelled wallposts with arch-bracing to the tie-beams and have slender intermediate posts and ogival passing braces; two-centred chancel arch and window surrounds all of plain rubble (suggesting former plaster covering); two-centred double-chamfered arches to transept, vestry and chapel, and over that to the transept, remains of the head of the window which the transept replaced; over south doorway, a blocked window, and attached to this a hatchment with motto "NEC TIMEO NEC TUMEO"; in north wall of chancel, a blocked doorway to former smaller vestry; in south chapel, an altar stone of c.1000-1050 with inscription "Aegured" and rectilinear pattern enclosed by T-fret border; C15 font from Camborne church, with four angels holding shields.
Churchyard wall and gateway: attached to vestry and transept on north side, returning southwards round the west end and then eastwards to the corner of the porch. Coursed squared rubble with granite ashlar piers and coping, wrought-iron gates. The low wall has chamfered coping; the gateway on the north side has tall square monolithic piers with cross-gabled caps, and the gates each have two panels of scrolls and a cross on the top rail; there are matching piers to left and right and at both corners of the west end, and a simpler gateway opposite the nave.
History: principal building of small model village built 1840-45 by E.W.W.Pendarves of Pendarves on site of former hamlet of Treslothan; built as Chapel of Ease for south-west portion of parish of Camborne.
Listing NGR: SW6505937814
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings