History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Penponds Methodist Church

A Grade II Listed Building in Camborne, Cornwall

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 50.2059 / 50°12'21"N

Longitude: -5.3148 / 5°18'53"W

OS Eastings: 163563

OS Northings: 39248

OS Grid: SW635392

Mapcode National: GBR FX84.D8X

Mapcode Global: VH12P.T2MZ

Entry Name: Penponds Methodist Church

Listing Date: 12 September 1989

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1142655

English Heritage Legacy ID: 66577

Location: Camborne, Cornwall, TR14

County: Cornwall

Civil Parish: Camborne

Traditional County: Cornwall

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cornwall

Church of England Parish: Penponds

Church of England Diocese: Truro

Find accommodation in
Camborne

Listing Text

CAMBORNE CHURCH ROAD
SW 63 NW
Penponds
7/32 (west side)
Penponds Methodist Church
GV II

Bible Christians Chapel, now Methodist church. Dated 1844 in gable. Gabled
facade of snecked killas with granite quoins, sides and rear of slobbered
and painted uncoursed rubble; slate roof. Small building, rectangular in
plan, gable to road. Two storeys; the gabled facade has 2 tall round-
headed 18-pane sashed windows with radiating glazing bars, and painted
brick heads, and above and between these a granite datestone inscribed
"BIBLE CHRISTIANS
CHAPEL. 1844"
The south side has a gabled porch offset to the right, with a doorway in
its front (right-hand side) wall and a lancet in its gable wall; attached to
the chapel wall in front of the porch, a wooden notice board in the form
of an Ionic aedicule with fluted colonettes and open pediment with egg-
and-dart decoration; to the rear of the porch, 2 tall 18-pane sashed
windows. The north side wall has 2 similar windows in opposed positions.
Continued to the rear and on a slightly lower level is a small Sunday
School which has a doorway in its south side and one 4-pane sashed
window in each side. Interior: small, and little altered: gallery at east end
supported by 2 cast-iron Tuscan columns, with ornamental iron openwork
balustrade, reached by a 1/4-turn staircase at the south end; basket-arched
choir gallery at east end (with added organ on this, originally hand-pumped
and pump handle still in situ); rostrum with turned balusters; benches with
painted oval metal numbers on the ends, and umbrella brackets; small
Sunday School room into which the raked rear end of the choir gallery
projects, supported by 2 iron columns. A simple building redolent of its
period.


Listing NGR: SW6356339248

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.