This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 50.6094 / 50°36'33"N
Longitude: -4.7035 / 4°42'12"W
OS Eastings: 208815
OS Northings: 82344
OS Grid: SX088823
Mapcode National: GBR N3.BX8R
Mapcode Global: FRA 171G.7G2
Entry Name: Church of St Julitta
Listing Date: 17 December 1962
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1142729
English Heritage Legacy ID: 68496
Location: Camelford, Cornwall, PL32
Civil Parish: Camelford
Traditional County: Cornwall
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cornwall
Church of England Parish: Lanteglos by Camelford
Church of England Diocese: Truro
SX 08 SE
4/54 Church of St Julitta
Parish church. Norman origins with tower added in circa C14, 6-bay south aisle added
in C15 and restored in 1864 and in 1873 by J. P. St Aubyn.
North wall of nave and chancel and north transept of stone rubble, south aisle and
porch of granite ashlar and west tower of snecked slate stone rubble. Slate roofs,
nave and chancel in one.
Plan : Norman origins with early masonry surviving in north wall of nave and chancel
and east and west walls of north transept. Probably originally of cruciform plan,
the west tower added in the C14, the 6-bay south aisle and probably the south porch
in the C15. Church restored in 1864 and in 1873 when the north wall of the transept
was partly rebuilt and the church was refurnished.
Unbuttressed west tower of 3 recessed stages, battlemented parapet with crocketted
finials, stair tower on north east and moulded plinth. C14 2-centred moulded west
door with 2 figure heads as labels to hood mould. C19 3-light Perpendicular west
window, 2-light cusped opening above and 3-light belfry openings with slate louvres.
North wall of nave has blocked north door with 2-light cusped window and 3-light C19
Perpendicular window in north transept. To east of transept, 3-light circa C17
window with early glass and lancet window to east. Datestone 'I.M 1585' possibly
indicating date of alteration or repair. East chancel window has been heavily
restored. South aisle has four 3-light circa C15 Perpendicular windows with remnants
of old glass. South porch; 4 centred arch with roll mould, incised spandrels and
sundial 1712. Circa C15 waggon roof. 2-centred granite arch to south door with
multiple roll mould and incised spandrels.
Interior : Circa C15 waggon roofs with crenellated wall plates; sealed with moulded
and carved ribs and bosses. 6-bay arcade to south aisle with type A Pevsner piers.
Tower arch, partly rebuilt, does not correspond with slightly later nave roof. North
transept arch partly restored and rebuilt but indicating probable early (Norman)
date. C19 furnishings and pulpit. Circa C15 octagonal font. Several remains of old
glass with heraldic motifs in top lights of north window of chancel and in 3 windows
in south aisle.
Several good memorials. Slate headstones reset in floor. Medieval cross head,
Norman font bowl and remains of circa C15 stone windows at east end of south aisle.
Maclean, Sir J Parochial and Family History of the Deanery of Trigg Minor in the
County of Cornwall 1875
Pevsner, N and Radcliffe, E The Buildings of England, Cornwall 2nd edition 1970
Polsue, J Lake's Parochial History of the County of Cornwall 1873, reprinted 1974
Listing NGR: SX0881482341
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings