This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 50.6744 / 50°40'27"N
Longitude: -4.4997 / 4°29'58"W
OS Eastings: 223474
OS Northings: 89058
OS Grid: SX234890
Mapcode National: GBR ND.6VBS
Mapcode Global: FRA 17G9.8TL
Entry Name: Church of St Winwalo
Listing Date: 22 November 1960
Last Amended: 11 January 1989
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1142888
English Heritage Legacy ID: 68066
Location: Tremaine, Cornwall, PL15
Civil Parish: Tremaine
Traditional County: Cornwall
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cornwall
Church of England Parish: Tremaine
Church of England Diocese: Truro
SX 28 NW
7/172 Church of St Winwalo (previously
listed as Church of St Winwaloe)
Parish church. Dedicated to St Winwalo. C12 origins, partly rebuilt in C13 and C14.
Stone rubble with roughly moulded plinth to nave. Slate roof, nave and chancel in
Plan: Small church comprising nave, chancel, west tower and south porch. Total
length of nave and chancel only 45 feet. Opposing north and south doors with remains
of Norman tympanum to north door. Norman font. Church probably partly rebuilt in C13
and C14 and windows replaced in C15 and C16. Circa C15 or early C16 waggon roof.
Church probably extended by a few feet to the east. Straight joint visible on north
wall either indicating extent of extension or associated with alterations to the rood
loft stair. Situated in an isolated position.
Exterior: Low church. West tower of two stages with two low weathered set-offs on
north and south sides. Battlemented parapet with crocketted pinnacles. Blocked west
door with narrow single lancet above. Two light belfry openings with slate louvers.
Circa C14, C15 and C16 one and two-light lancets and cusped square headed windows.
North door with damaged Norman tympanum (illustrated by Sedding). South porch;
chamfered segmental arch of circa C16. Plaster waggon roof with C19 longitudinal
moulded ribs. Chamfered segmental arch to south door; circa C17 door with later
Interior: Circa C15 ceiled and plastered waggon roof with moulded ribs, carved
bosses and carved wallplate. Walls plastered and painted with cement based paint.
Depressed 2-centred granite tower arch with inner arch on moulded corbelled brackets.
Remains of rood loft stairs in north wall. Holy water stoup on north wall of nave.
Altar 1900. Norman font (illustrated by Sedding) with bowl decorated with rope band,
waisted with moulded base.
Pevsner, N. and Radcliffe, E. The Buildings of England, Cornwall 2nd edition 1970.
Sedding, E. H. Norman architecture in Cornwall, 1909.
Listing NGR: SX2347289059
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings